Plausibility Check: An Austro-Hungarian colonial empire?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
It seems that Spaun actually gave more duties to companies in Hungary, most notably Danubius in Rijeka. This caused issues when Montecuccoli continued with this "pro-Hungarian" policy. He even gave Danubius a concession to build a dreadnought despite Danubius clearly having limited capacities to do so. And of course Croatians were pretty angry at this expansion of Hungarian influence.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Austria-Hungary had a small concession in China in the city of Tientsin.

@Isleifson
Yes, in the book Austria is a world power (and culturally and with soft power by far the most powerful - from cinema to Almdudler (this worlds Coca Cola)), but I am not sure they fly to the moon. Sure, they have a space port, but the moon is german. The main character has to go through german customs in Vienna, when traveling to the moon. So I don't know if they operate the space shuttles themselves.

Jul 2009
It seems that Spaun actually gave more duties to companies in Hungary, most notably Danubius in Rijeka. This caused issues when Montecuccoli continued with this "pro-Hungarian" policy. He even gave Danubius a concession to build a dreadnought despite Danubius clearly having limited capacities to do so. And of course Croatians were pretty angry at this expansion of Hungarian influence.
Well, Admiral Spaun retired having been exasperated by the politics involved. Dividing up the contracts between Stabilimento Tec. Triestino, Danubius and whatever ships went to the Naval Arsenal at Pola was only a part of his frustration, the money being the major one. Dealing with the interests and the egos of the 'Delegations,' and often the obstruction emanating from Budapest before 1904, wore him out. By Montecuccoli's time, royal patronage/influence and the popularity of the Navy League made things somewhat easier.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Would it have been plausible for Austria-Hungary to acquire and have a colonial empire? If so, what would have been required for this to occur? Also, which territories is Austria-Hungary the most likely to have colonized in a scenario where it successfully becomes a colonial power?
Maximilian I of Habsburg was emperor of Mexico for five and a half years. He was installed onto that position by his cousin Napoleon III of France, who had defeated & occupied Mexico in December 1861.

Austria–Mexico relations - Wikipedia

Jun 2012
Malaysia
If Arnold Schwarzenegger's friends in US Republican Party had succeeded in their lobbying for amendment to US Federal Constitution, to enable a naturalized, non-natural born American to contest for & be elected to the Presidency, he would have contested & won in 2000.

US might then have merged or confederated with Austria, with the former becoming a satellite state of the latter.:hug::lol::p

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Austria-Hungary had a small concession in China in the city of Tientsin.

@Isleifson
Yes, in the book Austria is a world power (and culturally and with soft power by far the most powerful - from cinema to Almdudler (this worlds Coca Cola)), but I am not sure they fly to the moon. Sure, they have a space port, but the moon is german. The main character has to go through german customs in Vienna, when traveling to the moon. So I don't know if they operate the space shuttles themselves.
Well , I heve been reading the book in 2013 - refreshing after the all the crap you have normally about the A - H.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
QUOTE="Dreamhunter, post: 3180376, member: 16598"]Maximilian I of Habsburg was emperor of Mexico for five and a half years. He was installed onto that position by his cousin Napoleon III of France, who had defeated & occupied Mexico in December 1861.

Austria–Mexico relations - Wikipedia[/QUOTE]
Mexico wasn't officially viewed as an Austrian colony, though--was it?

If Arnold Schwarzenegger's friends in US Republican Party had succeeded in their lobbying for amendment to US Federal Constitution, to enable a naturalized, non-natural born American to contest for & be elected to the Presidency, he would have contested & won in 2000.

US might then have merged or confederated with Austria, with the former becoming a satellite state of the latter.:hug::lol::p
LOL! :D BTW, a new constitutional amendment for this might not even be necessary if one is a creative living constitutionalist; rather, one could use the already existing 5th Amendment to nullify this requirement:

https://repository.jmls.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1287&context=lawreview