Plausibility Check/What If: A partition of the Ottoman Empire by the Great Powers in the decades before WWI?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Would it have been plausible for the Great Powers to jointly partition the Ottoman Empire sometime in the several decades before WWI? For the record, I am thinking that the Hamidian Massacres in the mid-1890s might be a good moment for this due to the fact that the Ottomans were behaving extremely badly towards their Armenian population during this time and if Russia would have decided to militarily intervene to stop this and the Ottomans would have massively scaled up these killings and began committing genocide of the Armenians on a mass scale 20 years earlier than in real life, maybe the Great Powers would conclude that the Ottoman Empire has lost its right to exist as an independent state due to its extremely bad behavior and that it should thus be partitioned. For the record, I was thinking of Britain, France, Italy, and Russia jointly partitioning the Ottoman Empire together. Of course, the Balkan countries could likewise join in on the fun.

Would this have been plausible and, if so, what would this partition have actually looked like and what would the effects of this partition have been both immediately and in regards to geopolitics in the years and decades ahead?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Possible, yes. Likely, no. Britain and France had decided to mostly leave the Ottomans state around to prevent Russia from absorbing too much of it (as Russia was seen as growing too powerful). Worthy of note is the allies did plan to partition the Ottoman empire after ww1.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, Visigoth Panzer is right. The Great Powers preferred weak Ottomans rather than a strong Russia.
So, would you see the Ottomans keeping their 1914 borders up to the present-day if it wasn't for WWI?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Possible, yes. Likely, no. Britain and France had decided to mostly leave the Ottomans state around to prevent Russia from absorbing too much of it (as Russia was seen as growing too powerful). Worthy of note is the allies did plan to partition the Ottoman empire after ww1.
The Allies only partitioned the Ottoman Empire after WWI in real life because the Ottomans had fought against them during WWI. If not for that, the Ottomans would almost certainly not have been partitioned by the Allies after WWI.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
So, would you see the Ottomans keeping their 1914 borders up to the present-day if it wasn't for WWI?
Who knows? I mean, without World War I, the Russian Empire would have continued to exist and they were rather keen on expanding into Ottoman lands so they might have taken some more land in the future.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
The Allies only partitioned the Ottoman Empire after WWI in real life because the Ottomans had fought against them during WWI. If not for that, the Ottomans would almost certainly not have been partitioned by the Allies after WWI.
Yes, i'm aware of that. I only mentioned that because this op is about them partitioning it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Who knows? I mean, without World War I, the Russian Empire would have continued to exist and they were rather keen on expanding into Ottoman lands so they might have taken some more land in the future.
But they didn't take Ottoman Armenia back in the mid-1890s even though the Hamidian massacres gave them a golden opportunity to do so. If they didn't take it back when they could have probably easily had it, why exactly would they take it later?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
But they didn't take Ottoman Armenia back in the mid-1890s even though the Hamidian massacres gave them a golden opportunity to do so. If they didn't take it back when they could have probably easily had it, why exactly would they take it later?
Russia always liked expanding into Ottoman territory. The Ottomans were relatively weak to stop them and Russia could reinforce her role as a defender of Slavdom and Orthodoxy. Her eventual goal was Constantinople itself, but there is no way Western Great Powers would have allowed Russia to take it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Russia always liked expanding into Ottoman territory. The Ottomans were relatively weak to stop them and Russia could reinforce her role as a defender of Slavdom and Orthodoxy. Her eventual goal was Constantinople itself, but there is no way Western Great Powers would have allowed Russia to take it.
That's why I suggested aiming only for Ottoman Armenia and Pontus in the mid-1890s.