Plausibility Check/What If: Bangladesh remains a part of Pakistan?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Would it have been plausible for Bangladesh to remain a part of Pakistan? If so, how would one accomplish this? Also, what would the effects of Pakistan keeping Bangladesh have been over the last several decades?

Aug 2019
United States
Would never have worked. Having two parts parts of a country more than a thousand miles away with an adversary in between was never going to work. I think the 3-state solution that Jinnah and some Bengali nationalists had floated was ideal, it would have created three countries - Pakistan, India and a United Bengal (east & west Bengals). This would've avoided the animosity and bloodshed that occurred in east Pakistan between 1947-71. There would also have been no bad blood between West Pakistanis and Bengalis - the Bengali genocide of '71 has really tarred relations and a lot of Bengalis still have hostile sentiments towards Pakistanis even though prior to '47 no such animosity ever existed between Bengalis and Northwest south Asians.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Would never have worked. Having two parts parts of a country more than a thousand miles away with an adversary in between was never going to work. I think the 3-state solution that Jinnah and some Bengali nationalists had floated was ideal, it would have created three countries - Pakistan, India and a United Bengal (east & west Bengals). This would've avoided the animosity and bloodshed that occurred in east Pakistan between 1947-71. There would also have been no bad blood between West Pakistanis and Bengalis - the Bengali genocide of '71 has really tarred relations and a lot of Bengalis still have hostile sentiments towards Pakistanis even though prior to '47 no such animosity ever existed between Bengalis and Northwest south Asians.
How about holding plebiscites in the Hindu-majority parts of Bengal to determine whether they would prefer to be part of a United Bengal or part of India?

Dec 2012
Also cant help but feel that " East Pakistan" (Bangladesh) will feel like a colony that the rest of Pakistan will just exploit when needed if it still was a part of Pakistan, though i am sure those feelings existed after independence

Aug 2019
United States
How about holding plebiscites in the Hindu-majority parts of Bengal to determine whether they would prefer to be part of a United Bengal or part of India?
I don't know if there's a demand in west Bengal to join Bangladesh so a plebiscite would be a waste of time as I believe most West Bengalis consider themselves Indian first and Bengali latter.

Aug 2019
United States
Also cant help but feel that " East Pakistan" (Bangladesh) will feel like a colony that the rest of Pakistan will just exploit when needed if it still was a part of Pakistan, though i am sure those feelings existed after independence
That was the reason for independence. That said I can't think of any natural resource besides large population that could be exploited by an autocratic West Pakistani state.

Dec 2012
I don't think Pakistan holding on to Bangladesh is simply possible for a very long period of time, them breaking off would happen sooner or later

Aug 2019
United States
I don't think Pakistan holding on to Bangladesh is simply possible for a very long period of time, them breaking off would happen sooner or later
Yes and even if hypothetically there was no inequality between the two parts, there was no exploitation and it was some kinda utopia on par with Scandinavia and culturaly homogenity even then there's a very high chance that East Pakistan would split off because there are also a lot of external interests in making them separate.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't know if there's a demand in west Bengal to join Bangladesh so a plebiscite would be a waste of time as I believe most West Bengalis consider themselves Indian first and Bengali latter.
So why have a United Bengal in the first place if the people (mostly Hindus) in West Bengal by and large don't actually want to a part of it?