Please help a history student with his dissertation - takes less than a minute

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
First rule of survey taking:make sure the survey measures what you want it to measure.

What your sample size and what is the demographic? I think using a forum such as this could skew your results .From what I've seen, the people on this forum are atypical compared with the overall population. However, I'll do your survey.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Now that You say (we're serious here), that could be potentially an interesting thread: how and in what are historumites atypical?
The following is my opinion, based on observation. I may be completely wrong, and am interested in having some one explain in what way(s) I'm mistaken, and why.

(1) In my experience, people who visit forums on a regular basis are atypical for that fact alone; I don't know anyone , nor haveI actually ever met anyone who spends time on a forum.

(1a) I suspect there is a personality profile for people who spend a lot of time on forums. I haven't bothered to follow that up, but am willing to if anyone is interested.

(2) The diversity of areas of historical interest, together with the often deep knowledge seem atypical of the local population. IMO knowledge at the undergraduate level is common here, with a few who I think are at graduate level. (no NOT me, and no, I will not name then lest I embarrass them)

(3) . I think a far greater percentage of history scholars than usually found in the general population .

(4) My perception from many of the posts I've read , including content, vocab and grammar suggests a higher than average IQ than found in the general community.

(5) Over years, I've belonged to perhaps a dozen forums. This forum is atypical of forums in that it is moderated in a thoughtful and unobtrusive way. So far, I have not detected a single troll. However, I'm not entirely sure about some of the religious apologists. :rolleyes: This a very good thing, trolls are a waste of space, and there are always a few who insist on feeding them,. I good moderator nips that in the bud.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The following is my opinion, based on observation. I may be completely wrong, and am interested in having some one explain in what way(s) I'm mistaken, and why.

(1) In my experience, people who visit forums on a regular basis are atypical for that fact alone; I don't know anyone , nor haveI actually ever met anyone who spends time on a forum.

(1a) I suspect there is a personality profile for people who spend a lot of time on forums. I haven't bothered to follow that up, but am willing to if anyone is interested.

(2) The diversity of areas of historical interest, together with the often deep knowledge seem atypical of the local population. IMO knowledge at the undergraduate level is common here, with a few who I think are at graduate level. (no NOT me, and no, I will not name then lest I embarrass them)

(3) . I think a far greater percentage of history scholars than usually found in the general population .

(4) My perception from many of the posts I've read , including content, vocab and grammar suggests a higher than average IQ than found in the general community.

(5) Over years, I've belonged to perhaps a dozen forums. This forum is atypical of forums in that it is moderated in a thoughtful and unobtrusive way. So far, I have not detected a single troll. However, I'm not entirely sure about some of the religious apologists. :rolleyes: This a very good thing, trolls are a waste of space, and there are always a few who insist on feeding them,. I good moderator nips that in the bud.
Interesting perspective. Don’t know if you are right or wrong, especially on 1 and 1a, I think that it is more and more common (typical) today the participation in Forums by the generality of the population… well not necessarily in historical forums.

With 2 and 3, I tend to agree.

Not that sure about 4, I think that there is a bit of everything.

About 5 I must say that I have already found 1 or 2 trolls here. But in general the mod team works well enough.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@Tulius

Ok.Interested that you agree on any of my views. I thought the IQ and personality bits might not be widely accepted. I can't prove that suff, but I'd be willing to bet some studies have been done

TROLLS?

Was it recently?

There WAS a guy who had apparently posted the same stiff on many forums. Hit and run?

Overall, I think we're lucky . I was thinking more about the slightly loopy obsessive who gets banned, and keeps turning up with new details.

Similar History Discussions