Poland demands one TRILLION (US) dollars from Germany for WWII reparations!

Apr 2017
United Kingdom
Sometimes you read things in the papers that put you in mind of John McEnroe's celebrated quip: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!
Case in point a report in today's Times(www.thetimes.co.uk, Sept 6, 2017) that Poland(now ruled by the Law And Justice Party) is considering dunning Germany for a TRILLION dollars worth of reparations to make good the ravages inflicted on it during WWII.
Leaving aside the fact that Germany(admittedly one of the world's wealthiest countries) simply does NOT have a trillion dollars laying around, it is also intellectually dishonest to ignore the fact that in 1939, Germany had a partner in crime in its attack on Poland(hint: its capital was located in Moscow!)under the terms of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact of 1939-41.
Is Poland concentrating on Germany because it KNOWS it will get a frosty "Nyet!" from the Kremlin?
It is of course quite true that Poland suffered horrendously at the hands of the Nazis, but it ALSO suffered at the hands of Stalin and his secret police at well(in addition to the notorious Katyn Forest massacre of 1940, the NKVD also deported upwards of one million Polish men, women and children to the freezing hell of the Siberian Gulag- and only a small fraction of them ever returned home).
I consider myself to be a friend of Poland and mindful of its past sufferings but I would advise Germany to repeat what was said in the early US when it was harassed by Barbary Pirates- "billions for defence but NOT a penny in tribute!" After all even Israel has ceased to demand reparations by now!
Poland would do well to recall an old Russian proverb, "the yes-man is your enemy but your friend will argue with you!" and let sleeping dogs lie.

Terry

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
Well its election time in Germany, perhaps the Poles are just testing the water. As for a trillion dollars, thats just their opening gambit.
And then again it could be fake news, there alot of it about, so im told.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Seems more a thing to annoy Brussel and Merkel. Which is always a good thing.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The context is that the EU is giving a hard time to Poland including threatening to cut subsidies (of which Poland gets the most net value in the EU to the tune of over 12 billion euros per year)

So that's the poles getting back

Actually a trillion euros is not a lot, its less than one third of the German GDP and about 2 years of Polish GDP... I would have asked for more

The greeks also tried that at the height of the greek crisis but got nowhere so I doubt Poland will see a single zloty of that money

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
If they would include reparations for the damage done to international football they have a very strong case.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
If Germany pays ther trillion dollars, then Poland will need to give back G'dansk and other territory they got from Germany. Which would Poland rather have?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
If Germany pays ther trillion dollars, then Poland will need to give back G'dansk and other territory they got from Germany. Which would Poland rather have?
The trillion :lol:

they can always get the territory back:zany:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
And in this kind of cases, I am always wondering: how it will all this help the millions of Polish and Jews murdered 70 years ago?