Poland in XVII ceuntry

Hello,
I want to start a discussion about Poland in XVII ceuntry.
Is anybody here who knows anything about that topic?

For beginning I want to place some movie here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6UkzJs9h0&feature=related"]YouTube - With Fire and Sword[/ame]

I look forward to hearing from you.

Oct 2007
The end of that century is when Austria, Prussia, and Russia completed their partition of the Polish state.

Are you from Poland? I will be in Krakow in January and will study at Jagiellonian until June.

The end of that century is when Austria, Prussia, and Russia completed their partition of the Polish state.

Are you from Poland? I will be in Krakow in January and will study at Jagiellonian until June.

Yes, I am from Poland. You chose pretty good school.
I've been to Krakow a few times and some historical sights are wonderfull, especialy old castle and its memories.

but lets get back to theard
Poland was destroyed in the end of XVIII ceuntry.

Does anybody knows something about Chmielnicki uprising, Russian, Ottoman or Swedish wars?

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Hello, Admiralwaldek.

The 11th edition goes into quite a bit of detail about the, uh, shortsightedness, of the szlachta who composed the sejm, and also about the Chmielnicki uprising -

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Poland

(It reads a little strangely in places because some of the marginal headings got incorporated into the text of the article when it was scanned.)

Admiralwaldek, if you get a chance to read the whole article, would you please let me know what you think of it? I know the 11th edition is somewhat controversial. For instance, this sounds, uh, florid, a century after it was written (about the events of 1654) -

"The war thus begun, and known in Russian history as the Thirteen Years' War, far exceeded even the Thirty Years' War in grossness and brutality. It resembled nothing so much as a hideous scramble of ravening beasts and obscene fowls for the dismembered limbs of a headless carcase, for such did Poland seem to all the world before the war was half over."

The liberum veto seems to have contributed mightily to Poland's downfall.

Well
First Liberum Veto was used in 1652 abd as you said it was one of the most important facctors in a way to disaster.
I will read that article and tell u what I think about it

P.S You said 13-years war, I do not know what you mean...
We had 12-years war with Moscow(1654-1667), 13-years war with Prussia(1454-1466), or maybe you mean Polish-Russian war 1605-1618/19?

The first authentic pacta conventa made between the Polish nobility and the Crown dates from the compact of Kassa (September 17, 137 4), when Louis of Hungary agreed to exempt the szlachta from all taxation, except two Polish groschen per hide of land, and to compensate them for the expenses of all military service rendered beyond the confines of the realm.

pacta convecta was something else
It was king's addicional obligation to do something, for example to built a fleet from his own cash
That what you wrote is called privilege

Similar History Discussions