Poland in XVII ceuntry

at Mohacs in 1526 (should be 1525)

I couldn't read all this text.
It is too large, but I reached nearly a half of it ;p

Well
As for me there are more grammar mistakes than historical.
Sometimes there are some things described pretty consoderably, but others are just mentioned.
I cound;t find anything about privileges of nobility, which are very important in the way of developement of Polish parliment.
However, I admit that you must be very wise to write such a article and there is a river of inromation.
Quite good work.

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
I remember my grandad telling me about the battle of Tannenburg in 1410 where the Poles defeated the more numerous and better equipped Teutonic knights, beginning a tradition of rivalry between the two countries.
He also said there was a Polish knight who had a breastplate thicker at the back than the front as he was such a good swordsman he could fight multiple opponents

yes, but 1410 isn't in 17th ceuntry...
btw Polish-Lithuanian forces were larger, however as you said Teutonic Order was beter equiped and supported with knights from Western Europe
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZu81xVxfE"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]
here you have a battle

There are a couple things that I know about Poland in the 17th century. First it was at war with Sweden since one of Gustavus Adolphus (king of Sweden) relatives who was the king of Poland was claiming right to the Swedish throne.

The Swedish king naturally wanted to protect his throne and so built Vasa to fight the Poles. The Poles would have had a formidable warship to deal with if she could have stayed upright on her keel!

Since it sank, was recovered in the 60's and put in a museum with 95 percent original parts, Vasa has some interesting sculptures.

The pictures of these sculptures, one being one of the originals and the other being my versions for my model, portray Polish men suffering a 17th century style of Polish punishment. They would stuff an offender underneath a bench or other cramped space and make him make barking noises in public until he confessed to his crime. This is a very old form of punishment and is only known of because of Vasa.

So Vasa has two such sculptures underneath the catheads toward the bow and near the head or crews toilets. Every time a Swede went to take a dump, he would be looking at a figure of a polishman recieving humiliating punishment.

It is an obvious and blatant form of propaganda meant to degrade the Polish enemy in the minds of Vasas crew.

Just because people didnt have the modern conveniences of radio and television didnt mean that they still didnt go great lengths to produce propaganda and attach it to their ships! :D

Clayton

http://clayton707.googlepages.com

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 2008
when we talk about Poland in XVII century we should also mention king John III Sobieski - "Lion of Lechistan".
He proved his skills in commanding many times, for instance (and above all) in his brilliant victory over Turks at the Battle of Vienna.

(Forgive me my poor English skills ;p)

Similar History Discussions