Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Historical Documents

Where could a find some copies of the historical documents that talk about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. I didnt bother to ask in another thread because you started talking about those ukrainians...

Nov 2009
Queensland, Australia
To my best knowledge, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth documents were removed from Warsaw by Russians after third partition of PLC.
The main document,”Polish Lithuanian Register” is still somewhere in Russia if it still exist. I will try to track some of them on the net
By the way, “those Ukrainians” were a very important part of PLC. Ukraine was initially conquered by Lithuania but fromunion of Lublin it joined voluntary Polish Kingdom (polish part of PLC)
Same basic information’s are here http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Union_of_Poland_and_Lithuania

Why is it almost everywhere called Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth if none of the historical documents call it soo? For example "Rzescpospolita" if a country is added to the name its always Poland and no Lithuania and that makes me mad... The name used in the XVII century is Rzescpospolita or Rzescpospolita Polska meaning Polish Commonwealth or Polish Republic and noone voted for them in the other thread. There was also The Most Sereme Republic of Poland and again no Lithuania in it. :mad: Could someone present some good facts and arguments why is it called Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?

Last edited:
Nov 2009
Queensland, Australia
Why is it almost everywhere called Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth if none of the historical documents call it soo? For example "Rzescpospolita" if a country is added to the name its always Poland and no Lithuania and that makes me mad... The name used in the XVII century is Rzescpospolita or Rzescpospolita Polska meaning Polish Commonwealth or Polish Republic and noone voted for them in the other thread. There was also The Most Sereme Republic of Poland and again no Lithuania in it. :mad: Could someone present some good facts and arguments why is it called Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?

It was called Commonwealth (or Republic) of two Nations (Polish “Rzeczypospolita Obojga Narodow”).
The Financial, Judicial and Military systems were separate for Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Polish Kingdom.
The foreign policy was common for both partners of the Commonwealth.
So it was not the Polish Commonwealth but Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
What was the language used in official documents? I guess Latin in the 17th century... so "official" name could just be something like Regni Poloniae et Magni Ducatus Lithuaniae etc

Here you can see what was on the seals of the Polish kings Polish kings' seals

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
To my best knowledge, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth documents were removed from Warsaw by Russians after third partition of PLC.
The main document,”Polish Lithuanian Register” is still somewhere in Russia if it still exist. I will try to track some of them on the net
By the way, “those Ukrainians” were a very important part of PLC. Ukraine was initially conquered by Lithuania but fromunion of Lublin it joined voluntary Polish Kingdom (polish part of PLC)
Same basic information’s are here http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Union_of_Poland_and_Lithuania
I cant speak Polish but this site seems to be a good start

Archiwum G³ówne Akt Dawnych w Warszawie - strona g³ówna

This bibliography also can be useful

Przyk³adowe edycje ¼ród³owe

Some of them might be available online too, like:
Akta unii Polski z Litwą (1385 - 1791), wyd. S. Kutrzeba i W. Semkowicz, Kraków 1932

Podlaska Digital Library - Akta unji Polski z Litw

Nov 2009
Queensland, Australia
What was the language used in official documents? I guess Latin in the 17th century... so "official" name could just be something like Regni Poloniae et Magni Ducatus Lithuaniae etc

Here you can see what was on the seals of the Polish kings Polish kings' seals
Since Union of Krewo Polish King used title; King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania.
Union of Lublin (1 July1569) was created on Lithuanian request, (strongly supported by Polish Kingdom) as Lithuania felt threatened by Moscow Principality during Livonian War
http://www.lituanus.org/1983_3/83_3_02.htm

Hi Everybody,

At the beginnig I'd like to apologize for my terrible English. English is not my main foreign language, so... reading of my statement may be unpleasant for some language purist :) Ill try to explain some of misunderstanding I've found here.

1. In English we have one word - "Lithuania". It describes a country. In Polish we had two word: "Litwa" and "Lietuva". Word "Lietuva" described an essential lithuanian teritory. For example it didnt include Vilnus-Wilno, the capital of Lithuania, where lived almost only Poles. Till today Lithuanians are minority in their own capital (thats why lithuanian Parliament began last time illegal law repressions against large polish minority in Lithuania)! But when the Polish-Lithuanian Union began (1386), Lithuania was a bit bigger, one of the biggest countries of Europe:

Plik:poland under Jagello.jpg

Word "Litwa" described all teritories, that belonged to Grand Duchy of Lithuania (today: Lithuania, Bialorus, Ukraine). Thats why Mickiewicz, one of the greatest polish Poets, said "Litwo, Ojczyzno moja" ("Lithuania, my motherland"). He ment Lithuania as a legacy of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, not a country.
Today word "Lietuva" is not used enymore. We have only "Litwa" and most Poles even dont know anything about any "Lietuva". Thats why there are so many problems with names.

2. Poles used three basic names: Rzeczpospolita* (Rzecz - res, pospolita - publica : Republic), Korona (The Crown) or Korona Krolestwa Polskiego (The Crown of the Polish Kingdom) and Litwa (Lithuania in our older meaning - the legacy of Grand Duchy of Lithuania). The full name of Polish-Lithuanian union was: Rzeczpospolita Obojga Narodow (The Republic of Both Nations). As a curiosity can I add, that during Polish-Ukrainian wars there almost arised The Republic of Three Nations (Poles, Lithuanians and Ukrainians), but the Ukrainian side has rejected and Ukraine was parted between Poland and Russia.

In May 1791, in May-Constitution (the third constitution of the World, after USA and Corsica, before France) there was only one official name- Polska (Poland). Why? For most of the lithuanian elite "polish" ment "european". They have accepted polish language, names, law etc and in 1791 there was propably no "true" Lithuanians more. If theres anybody from Lithuania here he may describe it better. As an example can I say, that most of lithunian nacionalists in XIX century even didnt know lithuanian language, because they have belonged to elites and have spoken polish and russian.

Union of Lublin (1 July1569) was created on Lithuanian request, (strongly supported by Polish Kingdom) as Lithuania felt threatened by Moscow Principality during Livonian War
O Holy ****, is it a new version of history? :) :) :)
The most influential part of lithuanian society didnt want to hear anything about any union, because it would deprive them all privileges they had. Polish nobility was 100% equal, had a lot of rights and in Lithuania only boyars were so powerful. But being a Duke in Lithuania gave... a bit another rights than being a King in Poland or in France. When old and ill Zygmunt August II couldnt persuade Lithuanian elites to approve the strong Union between Poland and Lithuania he just... joined 1/2 of Lithuania to Poland. Before:

Plik:poland under Jagello.jpg

After:

http://www.irekw.internetdsl.pl/rp_po_uni_lubelskiej.jpg

Lithuanian Boyars just had no another way aout of this situation - they had to aprove the Union.

Whats interesting, in the beginning of XVI century dynasty of Jagiellons (thats how you write it?) has created one of the biggest empires in Europe:

http://bialczynski.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/jagiellon_countries_1490.png

Poland, Lithuania, Czech Kingdom, Ungarn + sovereignty over Moldavia and great relationship with Pommerania (Stettin).

@Osviux

I can try to translate some polish documents for you, but it might be... a transloosing, not translating :)

I hope i have helped you in any way.
Good night!

*lovely spelling. "Rz" read like "G" in french "Gerard", "e" like "a" in "man", "cz" like "Cz" in "Czech" or like german tzsch in "Nietzsche" (yes, he derived from polish nobility), "p" like "p" in "propably", "o" like "o" in "most". Uff, you can hear it here - in 40 s.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVA7sloPKo"]YouTube - ‪Rzeczpospolita - Wi[/ame]

Similar History Discussions