Political Economists: Adams Smith, Karl Marx, John Stuart Mills

Dec 2017
Florida
Precisely correct. After Marx, historians began to identify economic factors as one of the many causes for historical events.
Historians had been looking through the lens of classes as an answer to historical events decades before Marx. Marx himself attributes his influence/use of classes to the works of French Classical Liberals.

"no credit is due to me for discovering the existence of classes in modern society or the struggle between them. Long before me bourgeois historians had described the historical development of this class struggle and bourgeois economists the economic anatomy of the classes. " -Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, Selected Correspondence pg 69

"In all the revolutions, there have always been but two parties opposing each other; that of the people who wish to live by their own labor, and that of those who would live by the labor of others…. Patricians and plebeians, slaves and freemen, guelphs and ghibellines, red roses and white roses, cavaliers and roundheads, liberals and serviles, are only varieties of the same species " - Adolphe Blanqui 1837

"Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf, guild-master and journeyman, in a word, oppressor and oppressed, stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted, now hidden, now open fight, a fight that each time ended, either in a revolutionary reconstitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the contending classes." - Communist Manifesto 1848

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Marx was only incidentally talking of politics
his main contribution was the oldest and biggest question in economics.... the transformation of "value" into "price"
the main result being "profit" as a motor of the economic activity
he wrote in German , a particularly involved language with many nuances this include five different concept of "price"

for profit to rise above the average can only be done by decreasing the "labor reward" in the value
because the price is out of the control of the producer , it is determined by the market

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
Maybe so, but which of the two, Blanqui or Marx, had a greater influence on future historians?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Marx did get quite a following , i'm not sure if they truly were "marxists"
such is the price of success , the followers making things up as they go to fit their needs

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Marx was only incidentally talking of politics
his main contribution was the oldest and biggest question in economics.... the transformation of "value" into "price"
the main result being "profit" as a motor of the economic activity
he wrote in German , a particularly involved language with many nuances this include five different concept of "price"

for profit to rise above the average can only be done by decreasing the "labor reward" in the value
because the price is out of the control of the producer , it is determined by the market
Lost in translation?
I finished listening to Isaac Asimov's Stars Like Dust, even the pun of pirates and pilots will be lost in translation.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
" Lost in translation ? "
more like German rhetorical subtility being left behind ,
not an uncommon occurrence , Clausewitz "war is politic by other means" being a case in point

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
" Lost in translation ? "
more like German rhetorical subtility being left behind ,
not an uncommon occurrence , Clausewitz "war is politic by other means" being a case in point
This is exactly why I mostly read English and Chinese original works; these are quite enough for me.

Reactions: sparky
Jan 2012
South Midlands in Britain
All writings of political economy have been inspired by the life and times of the writer. They must be seen as instructive but they should not be deemed to be Holy Writ in any form. Indeed, Hayek would be vastly amused if anyone thought his writings should be treated as religious tracts. The great issue we face as a civilisation is that there is too much reflection on the past, what its sages may have said and what they meant by it,but not enough original thought as to the challenges we face as a species. Whilst I accept that we stand on the shoulders of giants, we need to elucidate intelligent and humane philosophies for the future.

Reactions: sparky

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Yes indeed , Marx times were marred by some of the most horrible conditions for the workers in the new industries
the work was brutal and destroyed many , body and soul

Reactions: Sindane
Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
Yes indeed , Marx times were marred by some of the most horrible conditions for the workers in the new industries
the work was brutal and destroyed many , body and soul
Well said.
Marx did not believe that democratic countries would enact reforms because the elected representatives were tools of the capitalists.
Oddly enough, it was the fear of a proletarian revolution that slowly brought about reforms in GB and the US. Another factor was the growing political influence of the middle class who were pressing for labor reform.
Another oddity was that the most socially progressive country in the late 1800’s was Germany after unification (1871). Bismarck was not a progressive but wanted to get the support of workers for the new government.