Political Participation of Women in Sparta (?)

Feb 2019
netherlands
Hello all,
I came across these books of Sarah Pomeroy, who argues in her works (Pomeroy, S., Godesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves. Women in Classcal Antiquity 1994 / Pomeroy, S., Spartan Women, 2002) that
women in classical antiquity / Sparta had a somewhat important status regarding political influence and participation in contrast to other women in Greece.
I find this weird and have a hard time wrapping my head around this, especially since she uses sources like this:

Xenophon lak. Pol 1.7
It might happen, however, that an old man had a young wife; and he (Lycurgus) observed that old men keep a very jealous watch over their young wives. To meet these cases he (lyurgus) instituted an entirely different system by requiring the elderly husband to introduce into his house some man whose physical and moral qualities he admired, in order to beget children.

Xenophon lak. pol 1.8
in case a man did not want to cohabit with his wife and nevertheless desired children of whom he could be proud, he (Lycurgus) made it lawful for him to choose a woman who was the mother of a fine family and of high birth, and if he obtained her husband's consent, to make her the mother of his children.

She uses sources like this to demonstrate that women in Sparta had sexual freedom, but they are used by men in this parts, aren't they? They are not all the one who act...
What do you think? Does anyone have expertise on this field (i.e. Spartan Women / Women in classical greece)?

Sep 2014
Texas
Hello all,
I came across these books of Sarah Pomeroy, who argues in her works (Pomeroy, S., Godesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves. Women in Classcal Antiquity 1994 / Pomeroy, S., Spartan Women, 2002) that
women in classical antiquity / Sparta had a somewhat important status regarding political influence and participation in contrast to other women in Greece.
I find this weird and have a hard time wrapping my head around this, especially since she uses sources like this:

Xenophon lak. Pol 1.7
It might happen, however, that an old man had a young wife; and he (Lycurgus) observed that old men keep a very jealous watch over their young wives. To meet these cases he (lyurgus) instituted an entirely different system by requiring the elderly husband to introduce into his house some man whose physical and moral qualities he admired, in order to beget children.

Xenophon lak. pol 1.8
in case a man did not want to cohabit with his wife and nevertheless desired children of whom he could be proud, he (Lycurgus) made it lawful for him to choose a woman who was the mother of a fine family and of high birth, and if he obtained her husband's consent, to make her the mother of his children.

She uses sources like this to demonstrate that women in Sparta had sexual freedom, but they are used by men in this parts, aren't they? They are not all the one who act...
What do you think? Does anyone have expertise on this field (i.e. Spartan Women / Women in classical greece)?

Yeah, so not true. Acrotatus fought a war when he stole his ancient uncle's young wife. On phone. Will add more examples when I get home.

Similar History Discussions