Political Science Terms

In a typical political science class, the professor uses certain terms repeatedly:

Rational
Rationalism
Nihilism

Can you please define these terms for me in easy to understand language but, importantly, from a political science perspective? How are these terms related to political science?

Thank you.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
The first two make sense in a political science class- nihilism is a bit less clear why it would be repeatedly used but maybe the context of the class it makes sense.

You'll have to read a bit and know the context of your professor's use of those words to fully understand as there are several possible meanings- not sure how it is being used in your case or if it is being used the same or in various meanings.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23269995.2015.1018693

The first two make sense in a political science class- nihilism is a bit less clear why it would be repeatedly used but maybe the context of the class it makes sense.

You'll have to read a bit and know the context of your professor's use of those words to fully understand as there are several possible meanings- not sure how it is being used in your case or if it is being used the same or in various meanings.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23269995.2015.1018693
Thank you for

Thank you for responding.

I'm embarrased to admit this but my college years are way behind me. I just recently picked up a political book which included a discussion on Nietzsche and those three terms were used. I also recall the three terms being used many years ago when I took poly sci but I dont remember them well. I did read the online dictionary meanings but terms may take on slightly different meaning in the classroom. Would you believe I also looked at my old classroom notes that I still have and see the words but not the definitions? So, any help you can provide to break down the terms would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions