Poll about internet censorship

What do you think of censoring certain views online?

• I consider myself right wing and I agree with censorship

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I consider myself centrist and I agree with censorship

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I consider myself left wing and I agree with censorship

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I consider myself politically neutral/not on the conventional spectrum and I agree with censorship

• I consider myself right wing and I disagree with censorship

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I consider myself centrist and I disagree with censorship

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I consider myself left wing and I disagree with censorship

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I consider myself politically neutral/not on the conventional spectrum and disagree with censorship

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I do not know about the censorship but might agree with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not know about the censorship but would disagree with it

• Total voters
Oct 2013
Europix
If I am understanding right, it seems like your argument is somewhat similar to the argument that private companies can do what they wish with their platforms
No, it is not. (maybe the answer to tanmuz will clarify it to You?)

It's about the intellectual property, that it's since way too long totally ignored on the internet.

And as I said, imposing respecting the intelectual property rights isn't in anyway a menace to any right or freedom.

On the contrary.

Jun 2016
A Shell of Steel
No, it is not. (maybe the answer to tanmuz will clarify it to You?)

It's about the intellectual property, that it's since way too long totally ignored on the internet.

And as I said, imposing respecting the intelectual property rights isn't in anyway a menace to any right or freedom.

On the contrary.
Ah okay, I think it's because Article 13 began to gain focus in the discussion which took it away from the OP topic to a certain degree and that is what I'm discussing so my mistake. Sorry about that.

Oct 2013
Europix
Ah okay, I think it's because Article 13 began to gain focus in the discussion which took it away from the OP topic to a certain degree and that is what I'm discussing so my mistake. Sorry about that.
NP.

But it didn't exactly took over, it's quit characteristic for discussions/debates/positions on internet: mixing things, looking on the wrong side. From a (debatable in it's solutions proposed, I totally agree) law on intelectual property everything was inflated to a big brother censorship. From responsibility of speech everything is inflated to a big brother censorship. Aso.

Dec 2015
USA
I think that the face, the name, and the message of anyone committing such violent acts should be supressed. It is in the legitimate interest of no one to disclose these things, not even the perp. And publication only gives him what he was seeking. iMO if you stopped publicizing these aspects, all that would be left is that some anonymous, pathetic loser killed a bunch of people.

But the media won’t stop because suppressing these details wouldn’t be as sensational and therefore fewer people would read or watch.
I respect those points.

I will say I feel that if the media outlets were to totally blackout the information on the killer...that this would have its negative effects. Imagine if we were also to suppress any and all violent videos of the past(9/11 videos, The Holocaust etc etc) how would folks be able to learn from those crimes?

An argument can be also made that by showing the shooter, and putting his trail on international TV including showing the very video the shooter uploaded...that action might be able to convince would be anti Muslim/Anti Jewish/Anti Immigrant terrorists that intolerance is not the way forward. There have been a # of cases of Holocaust survivors talking with Neo Nazis and showing them the holocaust tattoos and the marks the Reich left on innocent people. Such an approach has been able to get some of the Neo Nazis to change their ways and to become better people.

I think any anti Muslim, anti Immigrant or anti Jew should watch the video the NZ Mosque shooter made. Maybe upon seeing the violent intolerance of the shooter, and all those innocent people having their lives ended...this might make a very positive difference and could prevent a would be terrorist attack.

Dec 2015
USA
In protest against the planned law, the German Wikipedia closed for today. Here is my translation of the explanation displayed by Wikipedia:

Dear Visitor,
why can't you use Wikipedia as usual? The authors of Wikipedia have decided to shut Wikipedia down today in protest against parts of the planned EU copyright reform. This law is due to be passed by the European Union Parliament on 26 March.
The planned reform could lead to a considerable restriction of the free Internet. Even the smallest Internet platforms would have to prevent copyright infringements by their users (Article 13 of the planned law), which would in practice only be possible by means of error- and misuse-prone upload filters. In addition, all websites would have to acquire licences for short text excerpts from press products in order to comply with a newly introduced publishers' right (Article 11). Both together could significantly impair freedom of expression, freedom of the arts and freedom of the press.
Although at least Wikipedia is explicitly excluded from Article 13 of the new Copyright Directive (but not from Article 11), Free Knowledge will suffer even if Wikipedia remains an oasis in the filtered desert of the Internet.
Some five million people in a petition, 145 civil rights and human rights organisations, business and IT associations (including Bitkom, the German Start-up Association and the Chaos Computer Club), Internet pioneers such as Tim Berners-Lee, journalists' associations and creative professionals are also protesting against the current version of the reform.
That is a major wrong IMO. Its almost unbelievable that Germany took Wikipedia offline I believe there can be no righteous reason for such an action.

Similar History Discussions