Polytheism: Good and Evil, Heaven and Hell

Status
Closed
Aug 2016
US&A
I have fairly little knowledge of polytheistic religions in general, but from what little I know, polytheistic religions seem to have less strict concepts of good and evil, and concepts of where you go after death tend not to revolve so strongly around good and evil.

Is this generally true in your experience?
If this is the case, then why does this tend to be true?

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Because polytheism has a 'multiple solution' philosophical position as opposed to the binary good / evil either / or solution.

IMO, the first ( a sort of 'analogue' approach ) is much more liberal and natural than the second ( 'digital') , restrictive and judgmental approach.

Good and evil are concepts that got popularized religiously in Zoroastrianism, and that religion and concept influenced Judaism, Christianity and Islam, thus giving these religious traditions and the societies based on them .

For example, see the post I just made on animal rights where I cited Zoroastrianism . Now compare this to the polytheistic cultures; they tend to accept ALL the animals , including Man, as equal players in a bigger picture, holistically.

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
My impression is that monotheistic religions emerged when the civilizations advanced enough to have more complex state relations with multiple hierarchical structures, more advanced trade and culture. Polytheistic religions existed when the society was tribal, more primitive. Both types of cultures had some moral code about what is good and what is evil, they didn't need a religion to tell them that, but as they became more complex, the monotheistic religion was used as a tool to enforce some rules of behaviour, with more substantial threats for people who break the accepted moral code.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions