Popular Falsities in history

Sep 2006
Topeka, Kansas
Nick said:
The countries that fear terrorism most were founded by terrorists (USA and Israel)
I emphatically disagree with this statement. While the statement does not explicitely compare the American patriots to modern day terrorists, I believe this is the implicit intention. Correct? Comparing the American revolution to current terrorist activities is patently absurd. In the events leading up to the war, the Patriots used protests and subversive propaganda to achieve their goals. There were cases in which mobs got unruly and certain individuals (such as stamp collectors) were threatened. One can argue that this type of thing was not acceptable, but comparing it to modern day terrorism is just plain wrong. Once the decision to go to war was made, a democratically elected American government organized an Army. They fought the British military openly in a declared war. They did not target innocent women and children. They did not kidnap civilians and behead them while cowering behind a mask of anonymity. There is no semantic argument here - the American Patriots were simply not terrorists in any sense of the word.

Jul 2006
Bemidji, Minnesota
Sounds fairly similar to what the United States did in Nicaragua during the 1980's.

Jul 2006
Bemidji, Minnesota
...to add, which has historically led to Daniel Ortega being elected president this year. Good to see Nicaraguans showing some backbone again.

Nov 2006
Ontario, Canada
First I would agree that the American revolutionaries were not a terrorist organization, but many American citizens that stayed loyal to Britain during the war were harassed, lost their land and became refugees who mostly fled to Canada.
Im not trying to deamonize the American founding fathers, but as in any war there are winners, loosers and the innocent people caught in between.

Sep 2006
Topeka, Kansas
Cunedda said:
First I would agree that the American revolutionaries were not a terrorist organization, but many American citizens that stayed loyal to Britain during the war were harassed, lost their land and became refugees who mostly fled to Canada.
Im not trying to deamonize the American founding fathers, but as in any war there are winners, loosers and the innocent people caught in between.
I do not disagree with you. War is inherently evil. Individuals on both sides committed acts much worse than crimes against property. However, the legally formed, recognized federal government did formally recognize the rights of former loyalists. One of the provisions of the Treaty of Paris was an agreement that neither the United States nor Britain would persecute citizens who had taken the opposing side in the war. When New York violated this, Patriot lawyer Alexander Hamilton defended the rights of the Tories in a court of law. Going back a few years - who defended the British soldiers who killed the Americans in the Boston Massacre? John Adams -- a member of the highest echelon within the subversive American patriot organization. Again, these men stand in stark contrast to modern-day terrorists.

Like much of history, suggesting that this is a black-&-white issue violates my supratentorial sensibilities. These anecdotes are not meant to suggest that the Patriots were guiltless, and I do not want to give the impression that I support the deification of the American Patriots. In this debate, as in most others, I believe the truth lies somewhere between the extremes of the two arguments. No, the Founding Fathers weren't Godlike figures that we learn about in elementary school. But they also weren't terrorists.

P.S. to kahn - consider your thread officially hijacked. My apologies.

Jun 2006
Earthquake Central
Back to on topic...

The non-terrorist Paul Revere never said the words "The British are Coming!" He instead yelled "The Regulars are Out!"