Portugal vs. Spain: Who had the more dominant empire?

More dominant empire?

• Spain

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Portugal

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Yep if you want the internet to explode, just say Portugal is better than Spain or vice versa.
When you use the word Spain are you using in the 2019 meaning or in the 1500 meaning? Portuguese and Castilian were Spanish explorers as Zealand and Holland were Low Countries... dear Willempie.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
When you use the word Spain are you using in the 2019 meaning or in the 1500 meaning? Portuguese and Castilian were Spanish explorers as Zealand and Holland were Low Countries... dear Willempie.
To us in Holland, there never was a separation in Castillian, Catalan, Leonese, Italian, etc it is all Spanish. Obviously there is a whole history of Aragon and Castile, but that never really caught on here.
Even our anthem from the days of William of Orange mentions the king of Spain (koning van Hispanje).

So when I talk Spain I mean the area nowadays known as Spain and its dependencies. In those days ruled by Fernando/Isabella and Charlie 5 (I guess Carlos I in Spanish). My other guess is that that is also the case for 99% of the forumites here.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Yep if you want the internet to explode, just say Portugal is better than Spain or vice versa.
How about:

Portugal is a modern country that did not exist prior to the 12th century
Hispania was the Roman and Visgothic name for Spain
The population of most of Spain and Portugal was largely muslim for many hundreds of years
The treatment of jews and muslims in Spain and Portugal in the 15th/16th/17th centuries equates to 20th century genocidal policies elsewhere

Right that's it, that's me off for the weekend, enjoy! :lol:

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
How about:

The population of most of Spain and Portugal was largely muslim for many hundreds of years
The treatment of jews and muslims in Spain and Portugal in the 15th/16th/17th centuries equates to 20th century genocidal policies elsewhere

Feb 2012
Portugal
How about:

Never been good with these terms but does "modern" date that far, older than modern unified Spain at least. Or is this a choose true and false sentence?

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
johniicornwall.You're right.

Lusitanos. Celtas.ibéricos. Visigodos.Etc.
Yes they are Muslim origin people.

Reminds me of the origins of the population of your country, origins Vikings Normandy Romans etc.

Feb 2012
Portugal
This is a repeat of what some people wrote but Portugal dominated the sea for a large part of the 15th century, and Castille-Aragon conquered and dominated Portugal between 1580-1640.

Feb 2012
Portugal
Curious enough according to genetic evidence the Visigoths left little German DNA, the Suebi and the Franks left more in Northern Portugal and Galicia and Catalonia respectively:
[The Visigothic Kingdom was the larger and longer lived than the Suebi Kingdom, and yet the Goths do not seem to have had any significant genetic impact on the Iberian population - at least not in terms of Germanic Y-DNA. The reason might simply be that they were no longer a predominantly Germanic tribe. /QUOTE]

That is not suprising considering that there were only 40,000 Suebi who settled there permanently, and they were the biggest contigent if we exclude the heavily hybridised Visigoths. Galicia, northern and central Portugal, and Catalonia are the regions with the highest ratios of Germanic Y-DNA today (approx. 5 to 10% of the male lineages), which is consistent with the historical settlements of the Suebi, and the Frankish influence in Catalonia's case.
Genetic origins of the Spanish and Portuguese people