Post-Vedic Republics of North-Western India

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Indrayudha, Chakrayudha, and Mahendrayudha. Is it possible that these kings of Kannauj were related in some way to the earlier Yaudheyas, ..
Unlikely. There is nothing to connect Yashovarman, the most important king of this dynasty to connect him with Youdheyas (Johiya Rajputs, who still are found in Western Rajasthan).
Actually correct spelling ( and the pronunciation ) of the other name of Kartikeya is SKANDA and not Khanda as you posted.
Skandha was called by some tribes as Khanda. Not Bhrigu's fault. It is there on the coins. He does know the Sanskrit spelling.
But yes, it makes sense that Kartikeya worship in Tamilnadu may have come from North.
But the South Indians had their own God, Murugan, who was later merged with Kartikeya.

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
What makes you think that the -ayudha kings were of same dynasty as Yashovarman? The common opinion seems to be that the son of Yashovarman was replaced by the -ayudha kings around the end of the 8th century.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Unlikely. There is nothing to connect Yashovarman, the most important king of this dynasty to connect him with Youdheyas (Johiya Rajputs, who still are found in Western Rajasthan).Skandha was called by some tribes as Khanda. Not Bhrigu's fault. It is there on the coins. He does know the Sanskrit spelling.But the South Indians had their own God, Murugan, who was later merged with Kartikeya.
Sir, several communities in South India (Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra) worship KArtikEya using different names. Tamilnadu is not the only KArtikEya worshipping state. Elsewhere, people do not generally use "Murugan". Don't you find it strange that Murugan had his own existence in South India from before, yet his name is not that widely used outside of TamilnAdu?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Sure; Murugan, Kartikeya, Skanda, Subramanya, Brahmanya in Youdheya coins, Khanda in Audumbara coins, Velayudhan, Shanmugham, Kumara, Katirkamam, Kataragama in Srilanka, Palaniappan, Seyon, Cheyon, Velan, Senthilnathan, Swaminathan, Saravanan, Arumugam, Dandapani, Guhan, Kadhirvelan, Kandhan, etc. Many names of Lord Subramanya.
Lord Muruga Names - 108 names of Lord Muruga with meanings
Yeah, Alexander did never had it easy with the Punjab tribes.
Funny thing is that the Bahudhanyak country (Rohtak-Hissar) was the core territory of the Yaudheyas, but the Agreyas had their capital just 90 km from Rohtak right in the middle of the core Yaudheya territory. I have no idea how to make sense out of this.
Perhaps the two tribe did not rule at the same time.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
In that place , I remember having said that my ' Shakha ' was Shakal Shakha, or the branch of my family was from Shakal. Since I knew Shakal was Sialkot, I then asked my grandfather, whether our family originally belonged there. He vehemently denied it. But perhaps you and me are / were nearer the truth.
Sagala is not the same as Sialkot. And as Attreya said, Sagala is a place name while Shakal is a person's name, a Rishi.

Alexander Cunningham places Sagala on East of Chenab near Sangalwala Tibba as Bhrigu said according to Hwen Tsang's description. Even in Hwen Tsang's time, Sagala was an abandoned city. Alexander had destroyed it. Conninghaam calculates it to lie midway between Rajouri and Jalandhar. XuanZang (Hwen Tsang) crossed Chenab and stayed for a night around Zafarwal and reached Sagala the next day. He found about a hundred (Buddhist) monks at Sagala. On the map I find a village by the name 'Bara Pind' (Large Village) at that place. Probably that is how people remember what was once the capital of the region.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
Alexander Cunningham places Sagala on East of Chenab near Sangalwala Tibba as Bhrigu said according to Hwen Tsang's description. Even in Hwen Tsang's time, Sagala was an abandoned city. Alexander had destroyed it. Conninghaam calculates it to lie midway between Rajouri and Jalandhar. XuanZang (Hwen Tsang) crossed Chenab and stayed for a night around Zafarwal and reached Sagala the next day. He found about a hundred (Buddhist) monks at Sagala. On the map I find a village by the name 'Bara Pind' (Large Village) at that place. Probably that is how people remember what was once the capital of the region.
Sagala was not abandoned since Alexander's times as we know that it was a capital of the Indo-Greek king Menander I, was later ruled by the Hunas, and is frequently mentioned in the Buddhist sources. Kindly read John Faithfull Fleet's Sagala, Sakala, the City of Milinda and Mihirakula, where he has explained how Sialkot and Sagala are one and the same.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
How reliable are the historical sources about these alleged republics? If the coins mention kings, then the contemporary evidence shows these entities were not republics. There is no evidence that supports the idea of elective kings, no justification in any of the historical references. Given the fact non of the ancient Greek writers mention Indian republics that I am aware of, indicates that whatever ancientl documents claiming Indian republics are wrong, and thus of questionable reliability.
There were three type of republics, hereditary kings ruling by consent, kings chosen by people from a privileged group or chosen by popular consent. Different tribes had different systems (much like the Greeks).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahajanapada

@Bhrigu, the better word for Malavas is Mallas.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Sagala was not abandoned since Alexander's times as we know that it was a capital of the Indo-Greek king Menander I, was later ruled by the Hunas, and is frequently mentioned in the Buddhist sources. Kindly read John Faithfull Fleet's Sagala, Sakala, the City of Milinda and Mihirakula, where he has explained how Sialkot and Sagala are one and the same.
Well, views on history. But if it was the Sangalwala Tibba, then Xuanzang found it ruined in early 7th Century. Let me accept, some tribes of Punjab capitulated before Alexander. Not everybody fought.

Last edited: