Prakrit's evolution/relation with Vedic Sanskrit and Classical Sanskrit

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I have heard of number of theories where linguistics claims Prakrit and Classical Sanskrit evolved from Vedic Sanskrit directly. There are some who outrightly denies Prakrit's evolution from Sanskrit and claim Prakrit is older than Sanskrit but that theory doesn't fit in the evolution of Indo-European languages. While other theories says Sanskrit was the refined and structured speech created during Panini's Period and while Prakrit was the language of the masses.

In ancient India there were three kinds of dramatic Prakrit spoken in India.

Magadhi Prakrit- Spoken in the East of India. Also referred as Pali.
Shauraseni Prakrit- Spoken in North of India.
Maharashtri Prakrit- Spoken in the West of India.

I have also read about a North-Western variant of Prakrit called Gandhari spoken in Gandhara. Some says Hindko language spoken in Hazara region of Pakistan is the descendent of Gandhari Prakrit.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
And I'm sure you are aware that Halegannada was not a Prakrit.
Yes, I know about it. He asked me about languages spoken in South India in ancient times(Old Tamil, Halegannada and Telugu). I have mentioned 3 types of dramatic Prakrit spoken in North India(Shauraseni, Magadhi, Maharashtri) and Gandhari Prakrit in North-West, not referred to South India.

Nov 2012
Yes, I know about it. He asked me about languages spoken in South India in ancient times(Old Tamil, Halegannada and Telugu). I have mentioned 3 types of dramatic Prakrit spoken in North India(Shauraseni, Magadhi, Maharashtri) and Gandhari Prakrit in North-West, not referred to South India.
what about Gujarat, Rajasthan,UP,Bihar, Himachal, Punjab-Haryana and Kashmir?

Is the word Prakrit a misnomer? Were these languages closer to each other back then in their Prakrit forms than they are today to each other?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
what about Gujarat, Rajasthan,UP,Bihar, Himachal, Punjab-Haryana and Kashmir?

Is the word Prakrit a misnomer? Were these languages closer to each other back then in their Prakrit forms than they are today to each other?
Read my first comment. There were three kind of Prakrit spoken in ancient India- Magadhi, Shauraseni and Maharashtri.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
what prakrits were spoken in the states I mentioned. Please highlight. North, west and east India are subjective at times.
As far I know.

Magadhi- Bengal, Odisha, Assam, Bihar
Shauraseni- UP, Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana, Gujarat, Sindh.
Maharashtri- Maharashtra, Goa

Kashmiri language is a Dardic isolate of Indo-Aryan language and I don't the history of the language.

For South India

Tamil Nadu- Old Tamil,
Manipravalam lead to the origin of Malayalam language a mix of Chera dialect and Sanskrit.
Karnataka- Halegannada(Old Kannada) earliest known from 300BC and a Greek play from 1st century BC using the some Indian speech resembling Kannada language.
Andhra and Telangana- Telugu, earliest known from the period of Satavahanas.

Do you have any more doubt. I was looking for the origin of Prakrit language and I didn't get the answer I am looking for.

Jun 2011
São Tomé de Meliapore
Karnataka- Halegannada(Old Kannada) earliest known from 300BC and a Greek play from 1st century BC using the some Indian speech resembling Kannada language.
Andhra and Telangana- Telugu, earliest known from the period of Satavahanas.

Do you have any more doubt. I was looking for the origin of Prakrit language and I didn't get the answer I am looking for.
Which Greek play is that ?

Similar History Discussions