Pre-Columbian Contact with the New World

Jul 2019
Ghana
@Tulius , thanks for the answer! Can't say that I disagree with any of that. Keeping an open mind is important, but without hard evidence, these questions will remain in the realm of speculation.

Curious if anyone else will be able to identify these pieces. With exception of the Veracruzan Iberian looking fellow with a goatee, I don't even know where these pieces are currently located.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
What I say....Colon arrived to America because he bought a ticket to a tour-operator... that the reason because Pizarro-Almagro-Cortes-Valdivia-de Soto-Coronado-etc etc found lot of vikings, irish, swedish, italian, chinese, Poles Kenyatan and Mauritian in North-Central-and South America when they arrived there....

Nothing as to inmigrate to USA to invent a history to say you discover America... but the FACT.. the only FACT.. when spaniards arrived to Ohio or to Kentucky.. they found...not even one viking.....
Nevertheless, the Vikings “got here” centuries before the Spanish.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Do you know who California was named after?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
Also my family passed down our history and we weren't slaves until right before civil war. I'm black and my family always lived in Bay area of California even before Columbus.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
?

Hm, you might want to explain this. You’re black, have always lived in California, and yet your ancestors were enslaved. How can this be?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Nevertheless, the Vikings “got here” centuries before the Spanish.

A saxon talking about a Germanic Myth.... because he can´t stand how... TEXAS,,, AMERICA from ALASKA to TIERRA DEL FUEGO.... From Amazonas Mouths to COLORADO... was discovered, explored and conquered by "Untersmeschen".... from Hispanian, Espana, Espanna, Spannan, from the Kingdoms of Castile, Lion, Aragon, Navarra, Granada and Portugal..

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
There is quite a lot of archaeological evidence for Viking settlements in the Americas. So no, not a myth.

If you are talking about Greenland... ok.... if you are talking about "discovery"... no way.... Vikings were only back to light of history by German Pangermanism during Second Reich and then used by the Third one...

Vikings didn´t discovery America.. they didn´t explore or searching.... it is funny... how many people was in America after vikings? None.... But when Catholic Monarchs sent a Expedition to West.... from that moment.. America is in history...

So... I hope you can write here the long settlements made by vikings in America... and we can compare...as yoy say Vikings brought the West Hemisphere to the rest of World... it is because you can do it...

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
If you are talking about Greenland... ok.... if you are talking about "discovery"... no way.... Vikings were only back to light of history by German Pangermanism during Second Reich and then used by the Third one...

Vikings didn´t discovery America.. they didn´t explore or searching.... it is funny... how many people was in America after vikings? None.... But when Catholic Monarchs sent a Expedition to West.... from that moment.. America is in history...

So... I hope you can write here the long settlements made by vikings in America... and we can compare...as yoy say Vikings brought the West Hemisphere to the rest of World... it is because you can do it...

How many vikings were in America when Colon´s expedition arrived there?

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
How the Germans presented the facts are irrelevant. The Vikings had a settlement on Newfoundland, archaeology proves that, so the Viking discovery of the Americas is not a myth, as you claim.

So... I hope you can write here the long settlements made by vikings in America... ..
The length of settlement is irrelevant, the fact of settlement is what counts when discussing who was in the new world prior to Columbus.

as yoy say Vikings brought the West Hemisphere to the rest of World...
No. I have never said that, or even implied it.

You seem to want to turn this thread into a nationalistic "who did it best? It was us" type discussion. I have no interest in such a boring and pointless endeavour so I will leave you to it.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The length of settlement is irrelevant, the fact of settlement is what counts when discussing who was in the new world prior to Columbus.
The length of the settlement is historically relevant in this case to analyse the consequences. The Norse settlement was historically inconsequent. It didn’t unite the continents as the voyage of Columbus.

Same can be said about the potentially other arrivals of others to America. They could exist, but they didn’t had consequences.

Maybe my bias is working here, but one of the previous arrivals that if existed could had a historical consequence was the Portuguese one. Because if existed it could be on the origin of the change of the meridian of the Tordesilhas Treaty to the West (1494), after the pope’s proposal (1493), as asked by the king D. João II, and allowing Portugal to set a bigger foot on America, and thus allowing the existence of Brazil.

See the change of the meridian to the west here: Tratado de Tordesilhas – Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre

Reactions: Frank81