Pre-Columbian Contact with the New World

Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Those some good points you bring up. It is possible that certain Roman artifacts arrived in the Americas through the medium of long distance trade.
I agree.

A possible scenario being Rome traded certain artifacts with the Parthians, who traded with India, who traded with the Han Chinese, who traded with the kingdoms of Southeast Asia, who traded with Java, who traded with the Polynesians, who arrived with said artifacts in South America.

Or something to this affect...
This scenario seems very farfetched to me.

Mar 2017
United States
I agree.

This scenario seems very farfetched to me.
Far fetched? Perhaps. However, the article I linked to seems to indicate that the artifact in question was deposited in the burial mound before the Spanish arrival.

The mound was undisturbed when excavated, and the artifact was discovered under the remains of a 14th century pyramid. This is not something that can be so easily dismissed.

This 1800 year old Roman artifact arrived in Mexico somehow. And it appears to have arrived before the Spanish conquest.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I call BS on your link. I looked up the purported historian Jovan Hutton Pulitzer, and here's what I found: https://historyheretic.org/

Do the rest of his purported discoveries seem genuine?
I had to Google “BS”… but I agree completely with you. Don’t think that even deserves the designation of “historian”, the man seems a complete con artist, or someone is attacking in on the net. Anyway didn’t found any more “articles” (under comas) about the theme,

Mar 2017
United States
I call BS on your link. I looked up the purported historian Jovan Hutton Pulitzer, and here's what I found: https://historyheretic.org/

Do the rest of his purported discoveries seem genuine?
That happens to be the only discovery of his of which I am aware. I agree it seems dubious.

A more convincing alleged discovery of a Roman artifact was of a terrocota head found in a burial mound in central Mexico. I linked to this on a previous page, and the mound was undisturbed when discovered. It was found under the remains of a 14th century pyramid, which does give one pause.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
That happens to be the only discovery of his of which I am aware. I agree it seems dubious.

A more convincing alleged discovery of a Roman artifact was of a terrocota head found in a burial mound in central Mexico. I linked to this on a previous page, and the mound was undisturbed when discovered. It was found under the remains of a 14th century pyramid, which does give one pause.
The terracotta head does seem to have better provenance and more scientific dating. I'll add that to my "collection" of articles on prehistory of the Americas. Thanks

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
What about contacts between eastern Siberia and Alaska? Perhaps it was going on over millenia and continued until present times ? The distance over water is not that much.

Mar 2017
United States
What about contacts between eastern Siberia and Alaska? Perhaps it was going on over millenia and continued until present times ? The distance over water is not that much.
That is actually commonly accepted. The Inuit arrived in Alaska in 1000 AD. They were the last of the indigenous people groups to arrive in the New World.

Contact with Viking settlers and a group of invaders known as the Skraeling were recorded in the Icelandic Annals. This account is believed to describe the arrival of the Inuit in Greenland.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-gGUBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA63#v=onepage&q&f=false

Similar History Discussions