Pre historic britain question

Sep 2019
Telford
My stepdaughter has been set some homework which states ' you are a hunter/ gatherer living with a tribe 20000 years ago. You and your tribe are crossing the land where the north sea is. Write a diary entry describing your journey across the tundra. What is the environment like? What problems do you face and how and what do you hunt. I'm assuming they are referring to doggerland but the little I have read suggests it wasnt really inhabited until 12000bc so would appreciate any thoughts from more knowledgeable people. Thanks

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
We have a strict homework help policy that you can find under the rules tab, above. I'll give you this much. I think your daughter's teacher pulled the "20,000 years ago" date out of the air without giving it much thought. We know so little about humans back then that what is true for 12,000 BC is probably still true for 20,000 years ago. What you're finding on your own for 12,000 BC is probably good enough for your daughter's assignment. By 20,000 years ago the Neanderthals were gone, so your daughter is only asked to consider homo sapiens. The last Ice Age had just receded so your daughter's humans are the very first people to migrate into a Britain that previously was too cold for human habitation.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
"It was too cold, so we turned back and decided to try again in another 8000 years." :)

Reactions: Modor

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Historum has a long standing policy of not helping students with their home-work until they've demonstrated a really good effort to do the work themselves. What is a parent to do? One approach might be to make it a father-daughter project. As a parent you know the child's age, stage of development, interests and scholastic ability/capability etc. As a parent/mentor/coach your job might be to point the direction where research is most likely to reap rewards, to discuss what your student has read/learned, and as a friendly reader/editor for your daughter's composition. One of several reasons for our policy is that homework assignments are intended to teach student how to do the work, how to be organized, to analyze sources and reach tentative conclusions, and how to write proper English. The rewards come not so much from regurgitation, as in the learning experience of performing the work, so doing the assignment is actually to under-cut the child's education. As you and your wife probably already know, those with the best education tend to do a whole lot better in life than those without.

She should read the texts being studied, but don't stop there. Text-books are purchased from publishers by local school-boards in the U.S., so there are three limitations to them: 1. They are the cheapest books you school could find, 2. They cover sooo much ground that in history a decade might appear as a couple of paragraphs, and so a whole lot is given minimal attention, and combination of 1 and 2 makes 3. Accuracy is often so mngled with mangled scholarship that you want to laugh to stop crying. Your studen'ts school library probably has a shelf load of books relevant to the assignment, and you might even find some interesting stuff when you take your student to the Public Library. The digital revolution has put an astounding amount of information on the Inter-net that I would have loved to have as an Under-graduate. Lots of great information, but also great mountains of mis-information so a parent might want to provide more oversight and deeper thought about what your child is taking away from the computer experience. There are some outstanding documentaries being streamed on popular historical topics that can help provide an over-view, but more intense fact-checking is recommended unless you already have a college/grad-level knowledge base on the topic. Even if your student isn't very apt using a computer, learning the skills is increasingly important to people living today. Your student should do most of the writing, but pay attention to things like: spelling, grammar, composition, structure and continuity, intelligibility, and finally whether the essay is "on-point" with the assignment. Helping your kids isn't always easy, but the rewards when you are old and the children are doing sooo much better for their raising is gratifying for the whole family, and your children's family's family. It is part of a long process to improve how we as individuals handle living.

Sep 2019
Telford
Thanks for the help . She is only in the first year of secondary school so nothing serious but like I said before the 20000 years ago was confusing me and like has been mentioned I think this date has just been stated with little thought. She will write the diary herself etc I just want to he able to point her in the right direction as to what she should read and so wanted to know if the stuff I had found about 12000bc would be ok

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Perhaps your student can ask for clarification from the teacher after their next class.

Sep 2019
Telford
Yeah maybe but was hoping to have it done tonight and then just enjoy the weekend. Like the other guy said might just take a punt and show her the stuff from 12000bc

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Look up the Doggerland podcast on the BBC's "In our time" series, too high brow I suspect for your daughter but should help you.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Or maybe it's a hypothetical question. To look for information about Doggerland is the right path. To cross that land doesn't imply that the tribe lived there. So ... in the hypothesis that a tribe crossed that land ... what would have that tribe met?