Predicting the Next Decade 2020-2030

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
We can say with high degree of certainty that with the UK leaving the EU, the immigration of EU citizens will be replaced by mainly pakistani citizens and with a cousin marriages in that particular community averaging 60%:

Cousin marriage - Wikipedia

we could expect the UK population to be significantly more inbred in the next decades.
Utter, utter ignorant nonsense.

Sep 2012
India
A couple of great surprises could be India and Brazil. In next decade India, it's still a bit early for Brazil, actually. But India could impose itself as a regional power.

I expect something from Africa [finally!]. Senegal is doing very well and surrounding countries are imitating it. This could mean the beginning of something new.
India has just completed its Parliamentary elections. Once again Narendra Modi has led his party , the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to a thumping victory . He has now received 5 more years to complete his agenda, and this presumably includes more industrialisation including more use of solar power and nuclear power,, more productive use of water available for drinking, hygiene and agriculture. It also presumably includes betterment in child nutrition, betterment of primary education ( although literacy is no more a headache ). And perhaps many more things. But India is very well on the way !

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
So is the rather unpleasantness better than the chaos that will precede it? :upsidedown:
Well, it will probably be more stable - at least superficially. I'm thinking that a lot of the more fragile ethical values which I like might be lost in the process however. Given the rate at which technology is evolving I am not sure what will happen, how can anyone be?

This might sound a bit pretentious, but I think that in the future humanity will perhaps face an unpleasant choice between Artificial Intelligence and Bio-engineering. Essentially: will we join with computers or will we instead create genehacked übermenschen and whatever caste-system something like that will no doubt lead to? "Bladerunner" or "Dune" - if you want to be even more science fiction:y. What that means for people like me who aren't too keen on either is an open question, but at times I genuinely feel as if the world around me is sleepwalking into some kind of cyberpunk dystopia...

If I had to chose I would opt for the latter, as I really do not like the idea of machines lording it over human beings. My somewhat tongue in cheek long term life plan as of now is to work in financing the next Reformation (hey, the first one took hold in North Germanic Europe and was crazy enough - why not the second as well? We're still crazy enough.) once I graduate business school, and be there to help burn GoogleDeepMind once it tries to take over the world.

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind" - Orange Catholic Bible

---
Or perhaps it will be great. I don't know.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
India has just completed its Parliamentary elections. Once again Narendra Modi has led his party , the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to a thumping victory . He has now received 5 more years to complete his agenda, and this presumably includes more industrialisation including more use of solar power and nuclear power,, more productive use of water available for drinking, hygiene and agriculture. It also presumably includes betterment in child nutrition, betterment of primary education ( although literacy is no more a headache ). And perhaps many more things. But India is very well on the way !
Modi promises lots of things during an election campaign but he doesn't deliver on any of them.

He announced his Make-in-India, Digital India, and Smart Cities policies during the last campaign and has done nothing to implement them in five years.
chowkidar chor hai ("the watchman is a thief"). India is still ranked the most corrupt of all Asian countries.
His demonetization program destroyed small businesses and stifled GDP growth.
His "industry-relevant" skill development program has been a disaster with a lousy 15% job placement rate.
He failed to push through "critical" reforms such as GST and the Land Bill.
Inability to reach a decision on gas pricing or cutting subsidies.
Food prices have deflated, shrinking by 0.8%, causing many farmers to drown in debt.
He has done nothing to improve electricity supply. Production has crashed to a 71-month low.
Private consumption is falling.
Business confidence has slumped.
Unemployment has increased.
Pollution has increased.
Water reserves are being squandered more than ever.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
I was actually talking about making people smaller except for the Luxembourg people themselves. Then they can look down on their subject population.:cool:
Hahahaha! Interesting plan...
I can see this working. I don't know how, don't know exactly when, but when it happens it will be glorious, and I will be there to watch it happen (perhaps finding myself on a curiously furniture shaped mountain).

Similar History Discussions