Predicting the Next Decade 2020-2030

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
It seems you also got problems but we in EU are seriously troubled. I'm happy that my parts not as much as Swedes but still it is becoming worse. To me the best years of our state was a decade before 9-11, a first decade of our new state.
You should visit Sweden. Really.

Might surprise you how it differs from all the weird crap alleged about it on the internet...

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Too expensive to visit I fear!
Not really. The value of the Swedish "Krona" is currently seriously undervalued compared to the Euro, USD and Pound.

Back in 2013 one of your Pounds would have bought 9,5 Swedish "Krona". Today you will get 12. Might be an opportunity?

You might have been thinking of Norway (all that oil does that)?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Yes, I doubtless was assuming that it would be much the same as Norway, which I have visited; I've never been to Sweden and I've never been to Russia (I'd like to see St Petersburg), so maybe one day.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU

Might surprise you how it differs from all the weird crap alleged about it on the internet...
Everywhere is good to be a tourist. But living somewhere is a much different matter. I presume that Swedes are still well off but bizarre incidents are accumulating and more and more people have such personal experiences.

In my country nobody is afraid to go around in middle of the night everywhere. I'm sure that Sweden was better in this regard only 10 years ago.

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
The EU needs to grow a pair and quit maligning their European heritage. This post-War guilt complex is obscene and Europe is paying the toll. Now you have a crisis situation with the European birth rate declining and Comrade Merkel and the EU pushing for ethnic replacement via third world migrants. And the decline of Christian morality and promotion of that transgender trash hasn't helped matters. It used to be that large European families were the norm, and the young generation was taught pride in their respective nations and cultural heritage.
The wars were really the worst thing that could have happened to Europe. In 1914 Europe had, IIRC, a far higher population than Africa and the Americas, only China and India had more people. It was the envy of the world for its technology, education and universities and industry. The two wars utterly devastated Europe, and not just for its culture and heritage but also for its population, it has never recovered and may never recover.

Now Africa and other countries far outnumber Europe for their population, and they all want to come here. Is it racist to want to preserve heritage, culture and a peoples from becoming multicultural? It has happened before in Australia with the aborigines and in America with the Native Americans. If the high number of births and immigration continues then it could certainly happen to Europe, the absurd war guilt which Germany imposes upon every other country in the EU doesn't help matters. It seems the politicians in that country willingly want to replace the indigenous European populace.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden

While I would agree that it is certainly not the kind of half crazy warzone it is occasionally portrayed as by more sensationalistic observers, don't you think there is a kind of... growing sense of unease?

I mean it is an objective fact that crime and social problems are increasing, and have gotten more brutal. While these things tend to be localized into certain low-income, migrant heavy areas, it is still a bit weird that we have had actual bombings become a thing, don't you think? Sure, this is hardly the norm in the country, it's not like you risk getting blown to pieces if you walk down Strandvägen or Avenyn or whatever. Lots of places here are very nice and I stil highly recommend people visiting, I absolutely agree.

But I wouldn't say @macon is really so far off, and I think he's right to say old Svedala was generally speaking more pleasant ten years ago. Of course these things are hard to measure "objectively" whatever that means, but at least if I can go by myself and by many of the people I know there is a growing sense of something (or a lot of things) feeling a bit off, or wrong - I am sure it could be partially psychological, but I also domn't think one should simply dissmiss intuition (not that that is exactly what you are saying).

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
But is that at least partly due to discomfort because of unfamiliarity?

For example, I've been in areas with lots of Eastern Europeans, and I feel uncomfortable partly because I don't understand what they are saying, and a lot of them are young men. They might all be lovely, law abiding people, but I still felt uncomfortable.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
crime and social problems are increasing, and have gotten more brutal. While these things tend to be localized into certain low-income, migrant heavy areas, it is still a bit weird that we have had actual bombings become a thing, don't you think? Sure, this is hardly the norm in the country, it's not like you risk getting blown to pieces if you walk down Strandvägen or Avenyn or whatever. Lots of places here are very nice and I stil highly recommend people visiting, I absolutely agree.
Everything that reaches a top will inevitably fall (meaning end). Could that be a case of the Swedish system (that was seen by many as a world reference)? I mean, quoting the Nobel Prize winner, Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are a-Changin”. The changes that you are pointing are not a signal of these changes, in Sweden but also in the global world?

We can make an analogy with the Economics, Gresham's law, the bad money drives out the good one. Swedish system in this analogy is (was) the good one.

EDIT:

Just noted that the thread tittle is "Predicting the next decade 2020-2030". Well predictions are not in the field of history. This should be in other sub-forum. Not in "general history".

EDIT:

Typo corrected.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions