Predicting the Next Decade 2020-2030

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Regarding space, may be there is the possibility to see humans again on the Moon, it will depend on budget and on political will. Anyway it's more probably we will see [around the end of the decade] a little space station orbiting around our natural satellite. But also about this I'm a bit optimistic.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
A couple of great surprises could be India and Brazil. In next decade India, it's still a bit early for Brazil, actually. But India could impose itself as a regional power.

I expect something from Africa [finally!]. Senegal is doing very well and surrounding countries are imitating it. This could mean the beginning of something new.
India is already a regional power and has been that for a while.

Indians - always difficult to generalize about a country the size of India - can and do make nearly “everything” you can think of. India does not appear to be a country that has an adventurous military spirit, thank heaven. We (the Americans) seem ti have “fallen off the deep end” with military adventures and, frankly, it’s time to stop most of it. India’s conflicts with Pakistan (where there seems to be a virulent dislike of the Indians) are not much of a threat to the Indians which I am fairly certain really upsets the Pakistanis.

But really, most of India is quite poor and underdeveloped and still has a considerable road ahead of it.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Humans will perhaps go to the moon this decade but Mars is a generation away.
I suppose. Frankly, I am less enthusiastic about interplanetary space travel than I was five or ten years ago. It is just way too dangerous and fraught with so many unknowns. I worry that anything beyond the moon (which does seem like a natural destination for us humans) will be a death sentence for many decades to come. This isn’t like explorers in small sailing vessels headed into the unknown: this is gong to be orders of magnitude more challenging and dangerous. Gritting one’s teeth and “girding one’s loins” is not going to cut it and, since NASA is a state agency, I think the prospect of sick or dying astronauts with no hope of rescue is going to make us re-think this business. I’m not against space exploration, but believe we are a long way from being able to hop from one planet to another.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
India is already a regional power and has been that for a while.

Indians - always difficult to generalize about a country the size of India - can and do make nearly “everything” you can think of. India does not appear to be a country that has an adventurous military spirit, thank heaven. We (the Americans) seem ti have “fallen off the deep end” with military adventures and, frankly, it’s time to stop most of it. India’s conflicts with Pakistan (where there seems to be a virulent dislike of the Indians) are not much of a threat to the Indians which I am fairly certain really upsets the Pakistanis.

But really, most of India is quite poor and underdeveloped and still has a considerable road ahead of it.
I think India's development has gone as far as it can for the foreseeable future. It seems to be plateauing in many key areas.

Last edited: