Present day Macedonians are slavs?

Status
Closed

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Sweet Bajesus, it's like a nightmare you can't escape, now even on Historum! :deadhorse:

No, Macedonians (FYRoMers, I don't want any fuss from Greek members :suspicious: ) are not Slavs. They're Eskimos. Or perhaps polar bears. Afterall, they say Alexander was blonde. :lol:

Nov 2013
Lykaonia
They could claim ancestry of ancient folks who inhabit the territory of the modern state mostly of Thracian and Illyrian origins, but also other people. The difference is that they dont speak the language of their ancestors anymore being slavisized over one and a half millenium back and being part of what was called Slavs. They can claim also Macedonian ancestry from a part who was gone there from the greek part of Macedon and also spoke slavic, bulgarian. Partly they selfidentifie with Bulgarians its also nearly identical language so far I know. The identification with Macedonia cames from the roman and ottoman provinces of Macedonia which were also outside of the original Macedon and the makedonis gi, also later with the expantion of Macedon over 90% of the lands of modern FYROM was not include on what was Macedon.
If they want to selfidentifie like that, they can. They are pretty much at the biggest parts of roots who belong to native populations of the area.
Another part what I am interested where cames from is that they have nameslike Dariusz etc. which shows some iranic or Scythian influence. Since such names exist also in other slavic countries I guess it cames from slavic being close to the Scythians and their world, someof them possibly also random part of the huge scythian sphere of influence.

Last edited:
Nov 2013
Lykaonia
The problem starts when they try to fit the past and the ancient history and facts on their modern and also past century history,culture, language and identity. Without acceptance of some fundamental facts its just like manipulating history to fit into the present.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
They could claim ancestry of ancient folks who inhabit the territory of the modern state mostly of Thracian and Illyrian origins, but also other people. The difference is that they dont speak the language of their ancestors anymore being slavisized over one and a half millenium back and being part of what was called Slavs. They can claim also Macedonian ancestry from a part who was gone there from the greek part of Macedon and also spoke slavic, bulgarian. Partly they selfidentifie with Bulgarians its also nearly identical language so far I know. The identification with Macedonia cames from the roman and ottoman provinces of Macedonia which were also outside of the original Macedon and the makedonis gi, also later with the expantion of Macedon over 90% of the lands of modern FYROM was not include on what was Macedon.
If they want to selfidentifie like that, they can. They are pretty much at the biggest parts of roots who belong to native populations of the area.
Another part what I am interested where cames from is that they have nameslike Dariusz etc. which shows some iranic or Scythian influence. Since such names exist also in other slavic countries I guess it cames from slavic being close to the Scythians and their world, someof them possibly also random part of the huge scythian sphere of influence.
What names do you mean? Never heard of any modern Slav being named "Dariusz". Perhaps Dario or Darja?

Nov 2013
Lykaonia
I have hear this name. Also see it written Dariusz in polish. If it is written and spelled different in FYROMI am not sure but it exist also there. So far I was ableto check out there it is Dario.

Last edited:
Status
Closed