President Trump 'to pull thousands of troops' from Afghanistan

Dec 2018
Chicago
He had them before the first Gulf War. Saddam was disarmed afterwards and he never had a chance to reacquire them. There were no WMDs in Iraq after the first Gulf War and the UN had an extensive inspection program in place to ensure it continued. Over 700 site inspection reports and not a scrap of evidence of WMDs.
The same program Saddam did his best to dodge, thwart, and evade at every turn?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16142-2004Oct7.html?noredirect=on

There was no reason to assume that the UN had gotten all of Saddam's WMDs, and like I said before, Georges Sada said the weapons were moved to Syria right before Iraqi Freedom kicked off.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
The same program Saddam did his best to dodge, thwart, and evade at every turn?
So? I wish I was taller but it isn't going to happen. Making a wish for something doesn't magically make it come true.

There was no reason to assume that the UN had gotten all of Saddam's WMDs
Yes there was - over 700 site inspection reports. The only evidence to the contrary was fabricated.

May 2017
Syria
Ironically enough, Georges Sara said the Iraqi Air Force took said chemical weapons to Syria.
"Geroges Sara" is a bag shop in Egypt.
Funnily enough, the OPCW confirmed that Assad still had stockpiles of undeclared VX and sarin as early as 2015.
They found traces, not "stockpiles".

Again, Syria's entire chemical weapons arsenal of 600 tons was destroyed in 2014. Mattis even stated last year that the US has no evidence that Syria used sarin on civilians, or "gassed their own people".
By the way, had the US really want to take out Assad, your hero would be rotting in a hole right now, and no number of Russian mercs could have saved him.
Good thing they didn't. A sovereign, secular and unified Syria is the one that's going to emerge. Not a reprise of Iraq and Libya with their "freedom".
Looks like you were right.
Stuff like this is easily predictable. Most of what they're saying hasn't changed since 2011, they need to be a bit more innovative if they want anyone to believe them.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Nope. We were repeatedly told that Iraq was invaded because Saddam had stockpiles of WMDs. The Bush and Blair administrations even fabricated evidence to support that bollocks claim. They also told us repeatedly that Iraq was NOT invaded to institute regime change but to simply take away Saddam's fictitious ability to use WMDs on the rest of the world.
I'm not so sure it was "bollocks."

C.I.A. Is Said to Have Bought and Destroyed Iraqi Chemical Weapons

As to the reason(s) for the US invasion, there were myriad reasons, goals, agendas and objectives that were touted at any given time.

"We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We are bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous. We are pursuing and finding leaders of the old regime, who will be held to account for their crimes. We have begun the search for hidden chemical and biological weapons, and already know of hundreds of sites that will be investigated. We are helping to rebuild Iraq, where the dictator built palaces for himself, instead of hospitals and schools. And we will stand with the new leaders of Iraq as they establish a government of, by, and for the Iraqi people. The transition from dictatorship to democracy will take time, but it is worth every effort. Our coalition will stay until our work is done. And then we will leave — and we will leave behind a free Iraq."

George W. Bush – Mission Accomplished Speech | Genius

My point is that it is never absolutely clear as to why governments get involved/start conflicts, it's murky. The same goes for Afghanistan: initially, all the US wanted was to get Osmama, right? Well, they got him in 2011, yet, here we are, eight years later and we're still there.

Dec 2018
Chicago
"Geroges Sara" is a bag shop in Egypt.

They found traces, not "stockpiles".

Again, Syria's entire chemical weapons arsenal of 600 tons was destroyed in 2014. Mattis even stated last year that the US has no evidence that Syria used sarin on civilians, or "gassed their own people".

Good thing they didn't. A sovereign, secular and unified Syria is the one that's going to emerge. Not a reprise of Iraq and Libya with their "freedom".

Stuff like this is easily predictable. Most of what they're saying hasn't changed since 2011, they need to be a bit more innovative if they want anyone to believe them.
Gee, is that what passes for wit amongst Assad cronies? I guess it's probably smart not to try to get clever or the secret police might knock on your door late one night :rolleyes:

Georges Sada - Wikipedia

Speaking of Mattis......

Mattis on Assad using chemical weapons: 'He's been warned'

US has no evidence of Syrian use of sarin gas, Mattis says

"He said he was not rebutting the reports.

“We’re looking for evidence of it, since clearly we are dealing with the Assad regime that has used denial and deceit to hide their outlaw actions,” Mattis said. "

Denial and deceit. Yeah, that sounds like your hero alright.

Oh, you mean a Russian puppet deeply indebted to Iran and Hezbollah for propping you up? Yeah, that sounds real likely.

And hey, worst comes to worst you've always got more gas to murder anyone who thinks otherwise, right? :rolleyes:

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
I'm not so sure it was "bollocks."

C.I.A. Is Said to Have Bought and Destroyed Iraqi Chemical Weapons

As to the reason(s) for the US invasion, there were myriad reasons, goals, agendas and objectives that were touted at any given time.

"We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We are bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous. We are pursuing and finding leaders of the old regime, who will be held to account for their crimes. We have begun the search for hidden chemical and biological weapons, and already know of hundreds of sites that will be investigated. We are helping to rebuild Iraq, where the dictator built palaces for himself, instead of hospitals and schools. And we will stand with the new leaders of Iraq as they establish a government of, by, and for the Iraqi people. The transition from dictatorship to democracy will take time, but it is worth every effort. Our coalition will stay until our work is done. And then we will leave — and we will leave behind a free Iraq."

George W. Bush – Mission Accomplished Speech | Genius

My point is that it is never absolutely clear as to why governments get involved/start conflicts, it's murky. The same goes for Afghanistan: initially, all the US wanted was to get Osmama, right? Well, they got him in 2011, yet, here we are, eight years later and we're still there.
The above was said AFTER the invasion. Look up what was said before. They made it very clear that regime change was not a goal.

Dec 2018
Chicago
Your own source says that there were no WMDs in Iraq after the first Gulf War.
From the source:

"An insider exposes plans to destroy Israel, hide WMD's and control the Arab world."[1] Sada, the former Air Vice-Marshal under Hussein, appeared the following day on Fox News' Hannity & Colmes, where he discussed his book and reported that other pilots told him that Hussein had ordered them to fly portions of the WMD stockpiles to Damascus in Syria just prior to the 2003 Invasion of Iraq."