Presidential elections Austria

Mar 2010
Czechoslovakia
Presidential elections Austria: the result is not known yet.
Some estimates favorize Hofer (Freedom party) other favorize Van der Bellen (Green party).
The result will be definitely very close.

Last edited:

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
I know its only a ceremonial post, but I do hope Freedom gets it. It might wake up those morons in Brussels.

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
Latest results say both candidates are tied at 50%. It's likely we won't know the result until Monday.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
As a Slovene I have nothing good to expect from the Freiheitspartei, although they seem to be what Austria need right now. I don't know ...

Mar 2010
Czechoslovakia
As a Slovene I have nothing good to expect from the Freiheitspartei, although they seem to be what Austria need right now. I don't know ...
Europen countries ruled by nationalists can mean a chance for future tensions and possible wars.
European countries under rule of welcomers means terror and civil wars for sure and very soon.
This picking a less evil option is caused by the imbecile EU policy.
I see the FP as a much lesser evil than the suicidal Green party.

Dec 2013
Prague, Bohemia
According to the Austrian Ministry of Interior, Hofer gained 51,9% of the votes, although votes from abroad/absentee votes are still not counted and they may be what decides the elections.

It's also interesting to see that Van der Bellen won only in 2 states (Bundesländer) namely in Vorarlberg and Vienna, although in the other 7 states he got a lot of votes from big cities while Hofer scored points in the countryside.

Source: Österreich - Bundespräsidentenwahl 2016

Last edited:

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
Hofer winning the Presidency would propel his party in parliamentary elections. I wonder why didn't the ruling elite change the system for electing the President so that he is elected in the Parliament.

In many countries where President is just a protocol figure he is elected in the Parliament.