Prevalence of lamellar in the classical and/or roman world?

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
While I was looking for representations of sol invictus and I came across this carving from Palmyra:

At first I thought that it was from the byzantine era because of the halos and lamellar, but the style of the art quickly vanquished the thought. It's odd to me because I always assumed that this style of "banded" lamellar only came to the eastern Mediterranean during the 11th century. You can see very similar styles of armor (and garb in general oddly) in depictions such as these:

So I was wondering exactly how prevalent this kind of lamellar was in the classical world, and if it survived until the byzantine period or if it was simply rediscovered.

Aug 2014
Australia
The Palmyra illustration could be depicting any number of things - lamellar is only one interpretation. Lamellar can't be a valid interpretation until some archaeological evidence is turned up to support it. Until then it is just baseless speculation.

Aug 2014
Australia
IMO the Palmyra carving is depicting scale armour made in a style similar to the one depicted on the Mars of Todi but there are plenty of other interpretations. Mail armour is another likely contender. Some medieval illustrations of mail are depicted in a very similar "lines and bands" style.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions