Previously underpopulated territories that acquired huge populations as a result of mass migration

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
Do you know of any maps that show how the population density in South America changed over time?

Yeah, their population grew by a whopping 11% between 2010 and 2018. That's very strong! From 45 to 50 people! :D
I'll look but don't hold you're breath, also the population density for one of the southernmost Chilean regions at the time was 0.02 people per Km2, now it's 1,24 people per Km2!! More sheep than people...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'll look but don't hold you're breath, also the population density for one of the southernmost Chilean regions at the time was 0.02 people per Km2, now it's 1,24 people per Km2!! More sheep than people...
"At that time" meaning in 1880?

Also, this thread of mine might interest you:

Maps that compare the population density and/or population in various countries/areas over time

In that thread, among other links, I've posted a link that has maps of Latin America's population density in 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, and 2000.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
OK; that makes sense.

BTW, would it be OK for me to create a separate thread to post interactive and/or animated maps showing how the population and/or population density in various places (such as various counties in the US) changed over time? I am asking you about this because I want to get your permission for this before actually doing this.
You went ahead and did it anyway.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You went ahead and did it anyway.
I waited almost 24 hours from you for a response but it didn't actually come. So, I cautiously considered the pros and cons of this and concluded that demographic history is a sufficient part of history to deserve its own thread.

You could delete it right now, but please don't! After all, I worked really hard to make that thread and find the relevant maps for it.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I waited almost 24 hours from you for a response but it didn't actually come. So, I cautiously considered the pros and cons of this and concluded that demographic history is a sufficient part of history to deserve its own thread.

You could delete it right now, but please don't! After all, I worked really hard to make that thread and find the relevant maps for it.
Did you consider maybe asking another moderator?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I thought that all of them took a break recently. I guess not. Thanks for letting me know.

BTW, I created that Disney/Looney Tunes thread because a lot of the films and cartoons that they appeared in were made a very long time ago. Cartoons and films made in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s are a part of film history, no?