Primary sources on Vendée Revolt

Oct 2016
California
I was wondering if anyone knew of any place where one could find primary sources on the Vendée uprising during the French Revolution. I have found various secondary sources but I am trying to find out more primary sources. Or at least good secondary sources that adequately quote and attribute such quotes to the original sources. I have to do a research report on the factors and reasons for which many of the Vendéans rose up. I am furthermore also trying to simply familiarize myself with more primary sources based on things such as direct quotes, letters, correspondence, and speeches and things of that nature both from the Vendéans and their generals, as well as from the French government, the army, generals, politicians and things of that nature.

I would not mind secondary sources which adequately attribute the quotes and explain where such quotes come from such as "from a letter" or from "speech to" the problem is that some of the secondary sources that I have consulted quote such people but do not really specify where the sources actually came from. It would be nice to know whether such sources came from a diary, letter, speech, etc. Also I don't know French so it would be nice to find primary sources from English website (I don't mind if the original is in French, which makes sense) but as long as I can make sense of it. An original French, with an English translation would be par excellent.

Does anyone know or have come across any primary, or good primary sourced based secondary sources?

Last edited:

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
I spent the summer of 1982 in La Vendee France and I have a figurine of a 'Chouen' or Vendeean footsoldiier who took part in the La Vendee revolt against the revolutionary government in Pars 'post 1789.
I would advise you to contact the local French embassy in California and ask them to put you in touch with the various Vendeean historical groups in places like La Rochelle ;or Fontenoy-le-Compte (where I stayed with a French family who were very proud of their Vendean heritage) and they would help you as the folks in La Vendee that I routinely encountered there are very hospitable and helpful.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
I spent the summer of 1982 in La Vendee France and I have a figurine of a 'Chouen' or Vendeean footsoldiier who took part in the La Vendee revolt against the revolutionary government in Pars 'post 1789.
I would advise you to contact the local French embassy in California and ask them to put you in touch with the various Vendeean historical groups in places like La Rochelle ;or Fontenoy-le-Compte (where I stayed with a French family who were very proud of their Vendean heritage) and they would help you as the folks in La Vendee that I routinely encountered there are very hospitable and helpful.