Privateers on inland waterways?

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Giuseppe Garibaldi, italian national hero and revolutionary, commanded a small privateer fleet, in Brazil during the War of Tatters, he preyed on ships in the Lagoa dos Patos, Dukes Lake, he would even cross on land with the ships to reach the lagoon
http://www.gremiodoprata.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Travessia-dos-Lanchões.jpg
He would also fight as privateer in the plate river during the great siege of Montevideo.
Travessia-dos-Lanchões.jpg

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
This article: Largest naval battle in history - Wikipedia lists 11 candidates for the title of largest navel battle ever. Note that one happened in Chinese coastal waters and two on inland Chinese waters.

This implies that a lot of boats ships have sailed in Chinese coastal waters and on Chinese inland waters. Most of them private civilian vessels but including a lot of sometimes huge naval vessels. I know there were civilians, naval personnel, and pirates in Chinese seas. If there were any Chinese privateers, some of them should have operated on inland waters, rivers and lakes, in China, as well as those operating on the coasts.

So an expert on Chinese maritime history may know if any Chinese privateers operated on Chinese rivers and lakes.

Reactions: hyuzu
May 2019
Earth
If there were any Chinese privateers, some of them should have operated on inland waters, rivers and lakes
That's the key point I think. I don't know if China had a practice of licensed privateering. I know they didn't formally accede to the 1856 Paris Declaration Respecting Maritime Law, but they've long been a country that values centralisation and government oversight, so I don't know if privateering would have fit in with their model of state/military affairs to begin with.

Like you said, we'd need a Chinese history expert here to help us out...

Last edited: