Provisional IRA during the Troubles: Freedom fighters or terrorists?

Opinion of PIRA?

• Freedom fighters/heroes

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Terrorists

Votes: 28 84.8%

• Total voters
Jan 2019
Kent, England
No, what your ignoring here are that not every rebel army attacks civilians (see American War of Independence)
You are joking, right? The Rebels in the AWI very much did target civilians, conducting a campaign of torture and murder against Loyalists, and it was the Rebels who locked civilians in a church and set fire to it - just like the Nazis did. Anyone who believes otherwise is the kind of moron who takes Mel Gibson films seriously.

Oct 2012
You are joking, right? The Rebels in the AWI very much did target civilians, conducting a campaign of torture and murder against Loyalists, and it was the Rebels who locked civilians in a church and set fire to it - just like the Nazis did. Anyone who believes otherwise is the kind of moron who takes Mel Gibson films seriously.
I don`t think anyone can take Mel Gibson seriosly.

But to characterise Rebels do all bad and professional armies don't which is what the poster I was responding to was inferring is asinine.

Regarding the AWI I was pointing out that rebels don't just target civilians, they do fight the invading military as well, again the previous poster was inferring that all they do is target civilians when that's not always the case.

But they were not a state or even a rebel army but rather the but rather a para-military 'force' with a political wing or were they a political party with a military wing? whichever they decided to ignore the peaceful political way forward --that others pursued-- and instead opted for political violence, that makes them terrorists.
I'll be clear I'm not sticking up for the IRA I'm simply pointing out the difference in the power of the propaganda machine that invading armies have against the resident fighters.

Whether we like it or not the IRA was supported by the Irish people, defacto making them their representatives, Sinn Fein was practically the Gov't of Ireland and the IRA was their military wing.

I certainly don't approve of terrorist activities against civilians I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of when a Professional army targets civilians its collateral damage but when rebels do it the Invading army brands it terrorism.

That's all.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
I'll be clear I'm not sticking up for the IRA I'm simply pointing out the difference in the power of the propaganda machine that invading armies have against the resident fighters..
But the 'British' (and even the Irish) governments are not an invading army but rather the established sovereign state, the IRA are the military wing of a political movement who wanted to over throw (at least in part) those states -- they were using political violence that makes them terrorists.

Whether we like it or not the IRA was supported by the Irish people, defacto making them their representatives, Sinn Fein was practically the Gov't of Ireland and the IRA was their military wing..
Sorry Sinn Fein are not the de facto Irish government (no matter how much they'd like to think that they are, since they seem to believe they represent 'real' Ireland whatever that is) there is a democratically elected government of the Republic in which Sinn Fein is only a minority party and until recently the main political parties would not dream of creating alliances with -- it has been growing recently as the memories of the ' troubles' fade and their propaganda try to paint the IRA as heroic freedom fighters and they are pretty populist as well.

You might argue that they were the representatives of the Nationalist community in Northern Ireland -- those communities were and are very polarised, often due to the activities of the Terrorists how ironic-- but its difficult to tell how much since other parties still existed and there were protests against the violence but its difficult to protest against a political party that maintains its own private army with which its more than happy to use to remove 'enemies'.

I certainly don't approve of terrorist activities against civilians I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of when a Professional army targets civilians its collateral damage but when rebels do it the Invading army brands it terrorism.

That's all.
But as I said they were not rebels targeting an invading army but a political group using violence to obtain their aims.;

Feb 2016
Japan
Quite a few Irish would not give the PIRA the time of day.... most of them infact. PIRA was not above murdering Irish citizens, police and robbing Irish post offices and banks.

Bunch of thugs, cowards and lunatics.

Dec 2014
Kent, England
In what way were they put down ?
They realised their highest (and I do mean highest) levels had been so deeply penetrated by British and PNI intelligence that all the others were going to prison for life. Unfortunately Tony Blair couldn't resist another of his famous "eyecatching initiatives" and fell for it. By that time they were little more than a drug dealing and extortion gang anyway. So were the Loyalist terrorist gangs as well.

Sep 2013
Ulster
They realised their highest (and I do mean highest) levels had been so deeply penetrated by British and PNI intelligence that all the others were going to prison for life. Unfortunately Tony Blair couldn't resist another of his famous "eyecatching initiatives" and fell for it. By that time they were little more than a drug dealing and extortion gang anyway. So were the Loyalist terrorist gangs as well.
Agree, and Tony Blair was as you have said. Yes, both sides were into drug dealing etc.

Similar History Discussions