Psych Ops??

Sep 2017
United States
Hey everyone. Wondering if there were any references or resources anyone had on the topic of psychological warfare/operations.

Reason being, in a few weeks, doing a 24-hour paintball war with about 18 friends (9v9). My team was planning some PsychOps for the middle of the night. Right now, we are trying to purchase an Aztec death whistle to blow by their (some friends very much believe in Skinwalkers and Rakes and such), and have considered just doing things like shooting their tents and such to keep them from getting any sleep or having any moments of down time.

However, these aren't very "official" strategies, and I was curious to see if anyone had more information on military procedures for psychologically screwing with a foe.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I suppose there's no way to drop a bunch of these overhead with a drone, is there? ?RC0273_0566_b_small.jpg

Reactions: Spike117

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Hey everyone. Wondering if there were any references or resources anyone had on the topic of psychological warfare/operations.

Reason being, in a few weeks, doing a 24-hour paintball war with about 18 friends (9v9). My team was planning some PsychOps for the middle of the night. Right now, we are trying to purchase an Aztec death whistle to blow by their (some friends very much believe in Skinwalkers and Rakes and such), and have considered just doing things like shooting their tents and such to keep them from getting any sleep or having any moments of down time.

However, these aren't very "official" strategies, and I was curious to see if anyone had more information on military procedures for psychologically screwing with a foe.
Oh yes ! My fav ! :)

Islander : " We dont like to fight, we dont fight, people get killed. But sometimes, there is no choice, we must fight . "

Visiting sailor ; " Aha ! But then you will kill ? "

Islander ; " No , not necessarily, now let me remember , it happened when I was a small child .... a very fierce tribe was coming with many war canoes. We knew what they where going to do . So we just left everything as it was , food out and half eaten , drinks left in cups, our clothes on the floor where we stood as if we had suddenly vanished out of them . The raiders came and seemed a little disturbed , but started taking our things and eating the food. But later that night, some of the men went and visited them, others hid in the forest around the village and played the special wailing flutes, the men had costumes on and big scary masks, which they painted with our special guano paint that glows in the dark . They got a big fright , dropped everything and [addled away , in the middle of the night . No one was killed .

Then there is the 'psyche army ' idea ; "The First Earth Battalion was the name proposed by Lieutenant Colonel Jim Channon, a U.S. soldier who had served in Vietnam, for his idea of a new military of supersoldiers to be organized along New Age lines. " ... oh my !

First Earth Battalion - Wikipedia

and this ;

Psychochemical warfare - Wikipedia

on a smaller scale of 'localized warfare' 2 come to mind

Mate moved to a new area, he said there where a lot of Aboriginals about . I asked how he was getting on with them, he said "Oh, okay, but they playing a lot of tricks on me ."

" Like what ?"

" Ahh , letting down TWO tyres on the car ... leavin a turd in the letterbox , stuff like that . "

" Tricks ? "

" Yeah , so I played a 'trick' back on them, in case they were going to go too far . I got an old rigid suitcase from the 2nd hand shop. been having trouble with feral cats and been trapping them. So I put one inside the suitcase - alive and left it on the roadside by the front gate ... and hid in the bushes to watch .

" Then a car comes past, packed full of them , slows down, goes past, stop lights on ... reverse lights on, car backs up ... an arm comes out , snaffles the bag and the car takes off ... 50 metres down the road ... barke lights on , 5 guys bail out the car doing a 'crazy dance ' :D

Reactions: Spike117
Sep 2017
United States
Oh yes ! My fav ! :)

Islander : " We dont like to fight, we dont fight, people get killed. But sometimes, there is no choice, we must fight . "

Visiting sailor ; " Aha ! But then you will kill ? "

Islander ; " No , not necessarily, now let me remember , it happened when I was a small child .... a very fierce tribe was coming with many war canoes. We knew what they where going to do . So we just left everything as it was , food out and half eaten , drinks left in cups, our clothes on the floor where we stood as if we had suddenly vanished out of them . The raiders came and seemed a little disturbed , but started taking our things and eating the food. But later that night, some of the men went and visited them, others hid in the forest around the village and played the special wailing flutes, the men had costumes on and big scary masks, which they painted with our special guano paint that glows in the dark . They got a big fright , dropped everything and [addled away , in the middle of the night . No one was killed .

Then there is the 'psyche army ' idea ; "The First Earth Battalion was the name proposed by Lieutenant Colonel Jim Channon, a U.S. soldier who had served in Vietnam, for his idea of a new military of supersoldiers to be organized along New Age lines. " ... oh my !

First Earth Battalion - Wikipedia

and this ;

Psychochemical warfare - Wikipedia

on a smaller scale of 'localized warfare' 2 come to mind

Mate moved to a new area, he said there where a lot of Aboriginals about . I asked how he was getting on with them, he said "Oh, okay, but they playing a lot of tricks on me ."

" Like what ?"

" Ahh , letting down TWO tyres on the car ... leavin a turd in the letterbox , stuff like that . "

" Tricks ? "

" Yeah , so I played a 'trick' back on them, in case they were going to go too far . I got an old rigid suitcase from the 2nd hand shop. been having trouble with feral cats and been trapping them. So I put one inside the suitcase - alive and left it on the roadside by the front gate ... and hid in the bushes to watch .

" Then a car comes past, packed full of them , slows down, goes past, stop lights on ... reverse lights on, car backs up ... an arm comes out , snaffles the bag and the car takes off ... 50 metres down the road ... barke lights on , 5 guys bail out the car doing a 'crazy dance ' :D

Wow, never heard of the First Earth Battalion before. That's cool stuff.

Also like the excerpts. I was reading about Vietnam, and how the U.S. Army would play distorted human sounds to scare the Viet Cong who had superstitions about the dead coming back and such. I guess fear really is a great tactic.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Some PSYOP ideas:

Light the woods on fire from behind opposing team's base, set ambushes on their escape routes.

Or find where their cars, set off their car alarms, ambush them while they respond.

Or bring numerous real guns, expend a few hundred rounds firing them into a series of safe berms closer and closer to opposing team's location. The sound will be unmistakable to the other team, and as it gets closer its going to scare the crap out of them. Then attack with paintball guns while screaming war cries.

I don't actually recommend doing them, but you'd surely win if you did.

Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
Make sure they overhear your plan to attack at night, that you're going to do it when they are asleep, around 4 to 5 am.
Don't attack at night. Get a good nights sleep.
By morning, they should be so tired they are hallucinating.
Then attack.

(Based on Alexander's tactics prior to Gaugamela). :smirk:

Sep 2017
United States
Make sure they overhear your plan to attack at night, that you're going to do it when they are asleep, around 4 to 5 am.
Don't attack at night. Get a good nights sleep.
By morning, they should be so tired they are hallucinating.
Then attack.

(Based on Alexander's tactics prior to Gaugamela). :smirk:
I was actually playing around with that idea.

Their team's full of heavy sleepers though, and also easily scared people (hence the death whistle). I''m only sending a Spec Ops team for night operations so the rest of the team can get full sleep.

We're not really making direct assaults either, just periodically raiding and screwing with them before a big assault in the morning.

One of our plans is to shoot their tent a few times, making them prepare for an attack, and go back to our camp for awhile. Then when they think we've left hit em again!

Apr 2018
India
The Chinese in Korea used to honk all night to keep the allies on edge. In the meantime they would slip a sizeable unit to a flanking position. They would attack simultaneously with the main assault to give an impression of overwhelming superiority in numbers. Panicking defenders would then try of retreat haphazardly and fall right into an ambush.

In India in 1962 they did something even more out of the box. During a temporary lull in the Battle of Namka Chu they put up a show by burying the Indian dead (some bodies fell into their hands) with full military honors. The Indian defending unit, fatigued, frostbitten and low on ammo was somewhat awestruck at such civility. However while this had their attention the flanking parties did good job on the comm lines behind them.

Sep 2017
United States
The Chinese in Korea used to honk all night to keep the allies on edge. In the meantime they would slip a sizeable unit to a flanking position. They would attack simultaneously with the main assault to give an impression of overwhelming superiority in numbers. Panicking defenders would then try of retreat haphazardly and fall right into an ambush.

In India in 1962 they did something even more out of the box. During a temporary lull in the Battle of Namka Chu they put up a show by burying the Indian dead (some bodies fell into their hands) with full military honors. The Indian defending unit, fatigued, frostbitten and low on ammo was somewhat awestruck at such civility. However while this had their attention the flanking parties did good job on the comm lines behind them.
Good stuff. I figure mental fatigue is what's gonna get 'em in the end.

I didn't even know that India and China had a struggle in the Cold War period either!