Pugsville Napoleonic Military History Book review

Mar 2011
After skimming over this thread I didn't notice anyone mention the in-progress work by Michael Broers. Have any of you given it a look?

I highly recommend. This, along with Andrew Roberts's 2014 book, I consider to be pretty significant works. It seems we are in quite an exciting period for major works on Napoleon and his age, given the final publication of his complete correspondence.

Cheers.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
After skimming over this thread I didn't notice anyone mention the in-progress work by Michael Broers. Have any of you given it a look?

I highly recommend. This, along with Andrew Roberts's 2014 book, I consider to be pretty significant works. It seems we are in quite an exciting period for major works on Napoleon and his age, given the final publication of his complete correspondence.

Cheers.
Well I find Andrew Robert hopelessly unobjective and untrustworthy.

The blurbs for Michael Broers's books look no better. There is enough tosh about the Napoleonic Myth published already, look it's popular with many people. Just not with me.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada

Cheers.
I am only vaguely familiar with Broer.
What would his current work be?

Mar 2011
Three part series. The first two are out.

1. Napoleon: Soldier of Destiny
2. Napoleon: The Spirit of the Age: 1805-1810

Part three will presumably cover the rest.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I have Soldier of Destiny. Didn't know that there was another book. Seems to have come out last month. Bit pricey though at over $40. I think at that price I would rather collect some of the George Nafziger books.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Conscripts and Deserters - The Army and French Society During the Revolution and Empire. (Alan Forrest - 1989)

Covers recruitment, focusing of draft evasion and attitudes to the draft, desertion, attitudes to desertion, enforcement and rounding up evaders and deserters. The conscription was hated, and generally most french people seemed to have no problem with evasion or desertion, and widespread support for evaders and deserters, juries refusing to convict, gendarmes being assaulted. Mayors and local officials siding with the deserters, evaders as otherwise the population would hate them. Highlights how mayors often were very poor form teh central administration piont of view,but increasing candidates to do the job at all we very hard to find (because of conscription)

NO real overall figures or statistics are given (which annoys me I would in absence of good stats like a discussion or estimates). And other thing that was annoying (for me) was all the plentiful quotations were in french.

very interesting despite this two reservations 6.5

Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Just wanted to say this is a great thread, thanks! I had not heard of Thunder on the Danube and just got it.
I'm almost finished with the first volume, and I am quite impressed with it. It ties together the political, strategic, and diplomatic forces underlying the conflict really well. The tactical descriptions can sometimes be tediously heavy in detail but it does at least make you feel like you are actually part of the engagements yourself almost.

In short, if the description of the political and diplomatic contexts makes you want to shoot Stadion half as much as I want to, then I'd say it does its job.:D

Similar History Discussions