Putin to Trump: "Pull your troops out of Syria NOW, or else I'll spill the beans."

Status
Closed

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
What beans ?

In any case there is nothing of the sort in the article...... and of course its highly unlikely -unless one likes conspiracy theories- to have worked that way....

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
JaddHaidar , " illegal violation of sovereignty " are not much of an issue above a certain level of firepower

the US engagement in Syria was deeply stupid ,
this was the cresting of the Neocons wave of wars everywhere ,
the US congress has abdicated it's usefulness by being unable to vote a sensible budget for twenty years and has given the president unlimited and open war powers
now they are just a bunch of hacks voting aid to Israel , that is their only real function

At least Trump is trying to stop the pentagon from making foreign policy

Jun 2017
Connecticut
Regardless of the reasoning this is likely the right thing to do. We shouldn't have been in Syria in the first place and after the last unpopular war in the 2000s and the disastrous attempt to get public support for congressional approval of military intervention in this one several years back the military-industrial d(which people like to pretend never happened) defense complex has seemed to opt for sneaking into conflicts without debating their entry in the public forum(the senate recently voted to stop military intervention in another conflict that was never formally really entered). We have lost far more then we gained in this part of the world and at the end of the day I don't think any rational American should care about ceding influence in the region to Russia. It's the Middle East and retaining a presence there can just as easily be argued to be a national security risk as it can be argued to be a national security interest, if the Russians want that self destructive role so badly, let them have it, if a foreign entity is influencing this decision that does not mean it should not be examined on it's merits or is inherently harmful.

I will say I have heard very concerning things about the Turks using our absence to harm the Kurds, who are the main positive force in the region and whose independence might be dependent on our presence. People who are normally very skeptical of any neo-con arguments and who would probably be described as isolationists have been very reserved about leaving Syria because of this(I do not think this would be the neocon's main reason for remaining but that's not the point). This is a more compelling reason to retain a presence than any I've heard over the course of my life but it reaches a point when enough is enough.

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I will say I have heard very concerning things about the Turks using our absence to harm the Kurds, who are the main positive force in the region and whose independence might be dependent on our presence. People who are normally very skeptical of any neo-con arguments and who would probably be described as isolationists have been very reserved about leaving Syria because of this(I do not think this would be the neocon's main reason for remaining but that's not the point). This is a more compelling reason to retain a presence than any I've heard over the course of my life but it reaches a point when enough is enough.
Poor use of taxpayers' funds, the Kurdish independence project. That is all.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions