qara khitai genealogy question

Jun 2013
ca
Hello:

what I have: Yelu Dashi, Qara Khitai founder m. Xiao Tabuyan with the note that she was his paternal cousin.

I have worked out the enclosed chart

does it reflect the above relationship properly, if they were at least first cousins?

if not, what would?

thank-you

Attachments

Jun 2013
ca
michael biran mentions the relationship in his book about the qara khitai.

my question though is, does the chart correctly reflect her as his paternal cousin?

or, is there a better way to show this?

May 2009
She may have been his cousin, but she couldnt have been a paternal cousin because then she wouldnt have had the surname Xiao. She wouldve been a Yelu. The Xiao supplied wives to the Yelu, so any cousins with that surname wouldve come from his mother's side of the family (assuming she was a Xiao, which she probably was).

Sep 2012
Taiwan
Didn't both clans intermarry anyway? So Xiao men still took Yelu wives. So if Dashi had a Yelu aunt who married a Xiao male, wouldn't that make a child of theirs still his paternal cousin?

Reactions: Vaderfan

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Norenxaq ... wouldn't you get better answers to your question on a site that deals in such matters rather than at a History site?

Jun 2013
ca
am: if you mean a genealogy board, no.

people on them are interested almost exclusively in their own families and ignore anything outside of that

this question deals with history, thus, it's here

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Do what you think best, but do try to keep your threads/posts more historical and less genetic. There is a long-standing policy here not to permit genetics threads/posts which in the past have led to gross violations of civility and respect when chauvinism raises its ugly face. The Mod Team will be watching closely threads like this one, so keep it on track. Welcome to Historum, and we hope you will be a regular contributing member. BTW, your PDF doesn't work for me.