Question about the US-Mexico War of the 19th century

Feb 2017
Latin America
Why didn't Mexico request, or get, aid from any other great power like Britain or France during the US-Mexico War of the 1840s?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Probably because those powers had nothing to gain by getting involved. Same reason they didn't help the Confederacy. The US was not that much of a power from the European point of view at that time, so there was no interest in weakening it,

Reactions: Futurist

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Why didn't Mexico request, or get, aid from any other great power like Britain or France during the US-Mexico War of the 1840s?
If they did, they would have been exploited by these powers as they actually were during and just after the ACW. Mexico had significant debts with Britain and France. Britain eventually wrote them off but France invaded and set up an empire in Mexico nominally ruled by Maximimillion of Austria. The Mexican President sought refuge in the US but returned after Mexican forces defeated the French and the US threatened intervention. Maximimillion was abandoned and executed by Mexico as France withdrew her forces by 1867.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Virginia
And Mexico had only been free from Spain since 1821, after a protracted struggle. Neither the weak Liberal governments of the 1830's-40's nor Santa Ana wanted to bring any European power back if they could help it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist and stevev

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
For what quid pro quo? Imagine you are Britain or France - why would you help Mexico and piss-off the US?

The French had their own issues with Mexico. France blockaded and invaded in1838 trying to extract recompense (Pastry War) and later there was the War of Second Intervention in 1852. I can't recall specifically, but I suspect Mexico was also in debt to Britain (as Mexico was in debt to the US).

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
For one, IIRC the smart money in European circles was that Mexico was more than a match for the United States.
I would love to read about that. I have always wondered how the Mexican War Hawks who wanted a second bite at the apple could not figure out that - if they couldn't whip Texas by itself in 1836, how where they going to whip Texas and her 27 new friends in 1845?

Reactions: Troy wienerdog

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I would love to read about that. I have always wondered how the Mexican War Hawks who wanted a second bite at the apple could not figure out that - if they couldn't whip Texas by itself in 1836, how where they going to whip Texas and her 27 new friends in 1845?
Well I guess that's how it looks from 2019 but not in 1845.

More relevantly I don't think anyone took into account the serious incompetence and disunity of Mexican military command throughout the century

Oct 2012
U.S. Grant participated in the Mexican war as a young lieutenant. His account, in his Memoirs, is very interesting.

Reactions: Zip