Question about the US-Mexico War of the 19th century

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
I would love to read about that. I have always wondered how the Mexican War Hawks who wanted a second bite at the apple could not figure out that - if they couldn't whip Texas by itself in 1836, how where they going to whip Texas and her 27 new friends in 1845?
The Mexicans handed the Republic of Texas some serious whippings before Texas was annexed by the United States. And the Texian rebellion against Mexico was a very close run thing; had Santa Anna not ordered the Army of Operations to leave Texas to save his hide I think Urrea coukd have crushed the Texians. But of course that's a shoulda, coulda, woulda.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
If you compared the militaries of the two countries, or their populations, areas, GNPs etc., they looked about equal on paper.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
If you compared the militaries of the two countries, or their populations, areas, GNPs etc., they looked about equal on paper.
Did you count the Mexican states that made neutrality agreements with Polk? Texas wasn't the only state that seceded after Santa Ana tore up the Constitution. It's just the only one he invaded.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Did you count the Mexican states that made neutrality agreements with Polk? Texas wasn't the only state that seceded after Santa Ana tore up the Constitution. It's just the only one he invaded.
I am just saying that the sides looked equal from Europe.

Do you have a source for these neutrality agreements? Part of the Mexican problem was internal divisions.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Do you have a source for these neutrality agreements? Part of the Mexican problem was internal divisions.
Orders he dispatched to Taylor, followed by orders to Commander David Conner:
"...to blockade all Mexican ports on the Gulf, to attack and take them if deemed practicable; except of Yucatan and Tobasco, which Departments it is reported refuse to take part in the threatened war against Texas or the U. States. These he is to visit at Campeache
and Tobasco, communicate with the inhabitants and inform them that they should not be molested, provided they would agree to take no part in the war."

--From the Intro to the Quaife edition of Polk's Diary, passage footnoted to Bancroft's History of Mexico

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Orders he dispatched to Taylor, followed by orders to Commander David Conner:
"...to blockade all Mexican ports on the Gulf, to attack and take them if deemed practicable; except of Yucatan and Tobasco, which Departments it is reported refuse to take part in the threatened war against Texas or the U. States. These he is to visit at Campeache
and Tobasco, communicate with the inhabitants and inform them that they should not be molested, provided they would agree to take no part in the war."

--From the Intro to the Quaife edition of Polk's Diary, passage footnoted to Bancroft's History of Mexico
Yeh, but no signed agreements.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Mexico had a similar level of wealth to the US with silver and so on, unlike later on. The US invasions of Canada had been defeated with the existing garrison, militia, and native Americans. Mexico seemd more formidable than Canada unreinforced. That is how it looked from Europe at the time.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
That is how it looked from Europe at the time.
That doesn't answer my question about where I could read about that; the same way I answered your question about where you could read about neutrality pacts between Polk and Mexican states.

And also, my original point was how Mexico - after being defeated by Texas alone in 1836 - could believe they would win against Texas and 27 of her new friends.

But, you may have a point. People in Europe underestimated the US capabilities since 1776. However, when you look at a war that was so one-sided in the field and continue to insist the sides were even on paper, I'd suggest you might consider that something is missing from your paper.