Question about the US-Mexico War of the 19th century

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
The answer, I believe, is that GB and FR believed the Mexicans could easily handle the US: a country even in the interior with more distance than Canada from US population centers, thus exacerbating a supply line that would be under constant guerilla attacks.

Reactions: Dentatus

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
The answer, I believe, is that GB and FR believed the Mexicans could easily handle the US: a country even in the interior with more distance than Canada from US population centers, thus exacerbating a supply line that would be under constant guerilla attacks.
Indeed, the Americans did have considerable problems with attacks on their lines between Vera Cruz and the City of Mexico.

You know, you'd think a fella who can write exacerbating would also write France rather than "FR".;-) Well I assume FR means France.

Oct 2019
West Virginia
If you compared the militaries of the two countries, or their populations, areas, GNPs etc., they looked about equal on paper.
Mexico and the USA? They were far from equal in population, industrialization, or military might. The USA had the advantage on all counts.

Dec 2013
Arkansas
U.S. Grant participated in the Mexican war as a young lieutenant. His account, in his Memoirs, is very interesting.
So did Robert E. Lee and various other future American Civil War commanders. Not to mention future U.S. president Franklin Pierce (though with dubious distinction as he reportedly passed out twice from relatively minor injuries)

Oct 2015
Virginia
And future Confederate president Jefferson Davis, who raised and commanded a Mississippi volunteer rifle regiment at Monterey and Buena Vista (where he was wounded) under the command of Zachary Taylor (who was also his father-in-law).

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
That might depend on who is doing the looking. That's how it would look to me in any year.
That doesn't answer my question about where I could read about that; the same way I answered your question about where you could read about neutrality pacts between Polk and Mexican states.

And also, my original point was how Mexico - after being defeated by Texas alone in 1836 - could believe they would win against Texas and 27 of her new friends.
But, you may have a point. People in Europe underestimated the US capabilities since 1776.
I'm afraid you are still classically seeing things in 1776 as they are today with the relative positions of US, Mexico and Britain/Europe (which aren't connected btw).

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
I'm afraid you are still classically seeing things in 1776 as they are today with the relative positions of US, Mexico and Britain/Europe (which aren't connected btw).
And I'm afraid you are wrong and it's ot hard to see why. When I ask (now for the third time) - how could anyone think after Mexico lost to Texas alone in 1936, how could anyone think Mexico can win in Texas in 1845 when she has 27 new friends - how can anyone infer it has nothing to do with 1776 or 2019?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
And I'm afraid you are wrong and it's ot hard to see why. When I ask (now for the third time) - how could anyone think after Mexico lost to Texas alone in 1936, how could anyone think Mexico can win in Texas in 1845 when she has 27 new friends - how can anyone infer it has nothing to do with 1776 or 2019?
Mexico was as powerul (if not more) as US in 1845.... when Mexico fought both against rebels in Texas as in USA... Mexico was in a Civil War. Texas in 1836 for Mexico was a Civil War too.. similar to South Carolina for USA in 1861.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Mexico was as powerul (if not more) as US in 1845....
Evidence? The outcome of the war? The way the held off the French in the 1850s? The next 100 years?

You probably shouldn't bother trying to substantiate. I am only going to pick holes in it anyway.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Mexican politics did not allow them to back down to the US. Mexico recognized the Nueces River as the boundary. Texas and the US claimed the Rio Grande. The US Army proceeded to march up to the Rio Grande in the disputed area. The Mexican Army decided to attack the American troops there. Unfortunately, the Mexican Army had arms and uniforms they bought from the British who used them in the Napoleonic Wars. Many of the American Volunteers had modern firearms that had rifling and percussion locks (caps). The American Artillery also was more modern and used tactics still in vogue in the ACW.

By the way, if one went by the Texas claim, Albuquerque and Santa Fe would have been in Texas...

Pruitt