Question on Eastern Han title Secondary Marquise and it's succession

mariusj

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Los Angeles
Hello

I have a question for the latter Han period specifically on the Secondary Marquise or the Guannei Hou.

According to De Crispgny (who quoted Loewe) in Fire Over Luoyang

he said pg 193's footnote

By tradition, subjects should not hold fiefs in the region of their sovereign’s domain, so no specific territory was associated with such a grant, though some secondary marquises were awarded a pension and at least in the early years of Former Han there was an allotment of land: Statute 310 found at Zhangjiashan, probably dated to 186 BC; Zhangjiashan Han muzhujian (247 hao mu), discussed by Giele, “Excavated Manuscripts,” 127, and cited by Loewe, “Social Distinctions, Groups and Privileges,” 305. In contrast to full marquises, most secondary marquises were unable to pass the honour to their descendants
Specifically the item quoted was the Zhangjiashan Han muzhujian张家山汉简 and the 二年律令, the statues recorded on the slip.

The item in question was 置后律 疾死置后者,彻侯后子为彻侯...关内侯后子为关内侯...卿后子为公乘

or

For the treatment of those who have died, the heir of the Full Marquise shall be Full Marquise... the heir of the Secondary Marquise shall be Secondary Marquise... the heir of the titles of Qing [my words: rank 18-10] shall be Gongcheng [rank 9]

I don't have access to Loewe's commentary so I don't know if he was talking about the Latter Han's period where the Secondary Marquise can no longer pass these to their children or he was talking about Secondary Marquise in general.

Since De Crispgny was talking about the very end of the Han era, and I can't find discussion on the succession law changes towards the latter Han, I am hoping some of you can help.

Thank you