Questions about a document from the Spanish-American War

Nov 2019
Washington
Considering the U.S.S. Maine, which has been identified as a main cause for the spark of the Spanish-American War, was sunk at 9:40PM on February 15, 1898,

How is it possible for this telegram to be labeled 2:13AM February 15, 1898?

As you can see, the telegram is from Captain James Forsythe, forwarding a message from the Captain of the U.S.S. Maine Charles Sigsbee, to the Secretary of the Navy. Forsythe was said to have received the message he forwarded from Sigsbee at 12:30AM February 16, 1898.

My friend and I, who have decided to try to figure out this mystery, suspect that it's actually just a typo in the time stamp. We believe that it should state "Feb 16-98"

Most of our peers don't believe it to be likely that it is a simple typo, and have full faith in the conspiracy theory of America purposefully sparking the war, although it has been widely accepted that the destruction of the U.S.S. Maine was an accident caused by combustion of the coal bunker.

Do you think that this is just simply a typo, or is it a conspiracy of the United States sparking their own war?
forsythetelegraph.jpg

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The Maine blew up at 9:50 pm on Feb 15, 1898. The telegram was sent before midnight so the telegram is dated Feb 15. The message was received in Washington DC at 2:13am on the 16th. At some point, the message passed through Key West and Jacksonville (it looks like) which explains the delay in transmission. Forsythe stopped and gave some orders before relaying the message.

Reactions: Futurist

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The conspiracy theory doesn't blame or accuse McKinley. It accuses newspaper publisher William Randolph Hurst who supposedly started the war just to sell newspapers.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The conspiracy theory doesn't blame or accuse McKinley. It accuses newspaper publisher William Randolph Hurst who supposedly started the war just to sell newspapers.
I am not going to get into discussing possible conspiracies, but my understanding the theory was it was to the benefit of sugar interests and to build an overseas empire, and the newspapers were employed to get the country into the war.

Reactions: Tulius and Chlodio
Dec 2017
Florida
McKinley had a well known aversion to war based on his experiences during the American Civil War.
So much aversion that he asked for a declaration of war in a conflict America should have had no part of? McKinley is a very sly president and I think all presidents hide behind the veil of being peace-lovers, but tear off the veil and they show their true faces. At least with Roosevelt, he didn't hide his war fanaticism.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Is anyone the known author of that idea?