Questions about Argentina in WWII and Juan Peron

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Is it true that the Argentinian military was split in its sympathies in WW2, with the navy supporting the allies and the army supporting the axis? If so, why was this? Any other examples of this type of thing in history?

And regarding Peron, is it true he liked underage/younger girls?

Jul 2017
Argentina
Hey Menshe.
Prior to the time of WWII, Argentina's armed forces had been created following the german model. I'm personally not shure what that means or what was the difference with the US model. But all history books mention that.
When the war began, the rulling class was divided between the pro-allies (aliadófilos) who wanted to declare war to the axis; and the pro-german who wanted to stay neutral. This second group must have been stronger. Argentina remained neutral and ended by recieveing some nazis to get hidden (like adolf eichman).
Many jewish families also arrive post war.

That discussion betwen army and navy.... if it really existed, it wasn't something important. History books don't really get to topic, Argentina during WWII.

Those personall likes of Perón, never heard of it.
IMHO
¡¡Aguante Talleres!!

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Last edited:

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Is it true that the Argentinian military was split in its sympathies in WW2, with the navy supporting the allies and the army supporting the axis? If so, why was this? Any other examples of this type of thing in history?

And regarding Peron, is it true he liked underage/younger girls?
Except that the concept of underage was different until fairly recently in Hispanic societies. Spain's laws have only recently raised the age of consent from, I think, 14. It just never seems to come up much, but obviously in this day and age some stricter rules are needed with all that goes on.

Jul 2017
Argentina
Just saw some articles about it.
I can't tell if consented sex relationship with a 14 years old woman was a crime or not in that time. It certainly is now.
Anyway, by mid 20th century, couples were formed with people in the same age rank. It was definitely no the time of San Martin, who married a 14 y.o. teenager.
Peronism has always had a big capability for censorship. That Nelly Rivas story isn't really known here. In fact, I'm seeing her book of memories couldn't get published.
It's like that Simpsons chapter from 2007 wich I first saw on tv in 2017. Where you have a character making a joke about Perón.