Questions for those who believe that Aryans came out of India

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Why would /l/ change to /j/ in Jihwa, but not in Lide?
The whole of vyAkaraNa shAstra (grammar) and shiksha is based on the tenet of how to make language streamlined and pleasant sounding (which is relative). I can imagine an area from where the language spread to be the center of such grammatical rules. The word lihwa might have transformed in various stages finally becoming Jihwa. The Unadi sutra basically maps the root with the final transformation, which might be the most accepted
Nothing wrong in imagining things, but the problem comes when you have to provide evidence, which is lacking in the OIT.No Vedic language in Iran. Say IE, pre-Vedic or pre-Zoroastrian (that is before the bifurcation). Sure, there are many levels in Avestan, old, middle and late; like we have in Sanskrit too Old Vedic, Vedic and modern Sanskrit. That is why 'niruktikaras' were necessary, Aupamanyava, Yaska and Sayana.
So we should stop seeing dictionaries containing words in vogue? Think before you write.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Nice, at least you have acknowledged the mechanics of AMT.

Let's get more specific. How come there's so much similarity between Sanskrit and ancient Greek, e.g. Illiad/Odyssey, composed circa 8th century BCE. Just so you don't fall into the pitfall, Alexander happened 5 centuries later.
I have not acknowledged the mechanics of AMT. Instead I have acknowledged the ways of commonality with a special emphasis on OIT.

Before you hop to Illiad/Odyssey, give me the names of common deities of Vedic and Ancient Greek religions.

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
I have not acknowledged the mechanics of AMT. Instead I have acknowledged the ways of commonality with a special emphasis on OIT.

Before you hop to Illiad/Odyssey, give me the names of common deities of Vedic and Ancient Greek religions.
You'll find a bunch here
Proto-Indo-European mythology - Wikipedia

I'd say the most commonly known are Ouranous/Varun and Zeus/Dyaus Pitr. Not quite sure how well known Eos/Usha are.
Worth noting that the Roman deity Mithras is a specific later borrowing. The original Roman pantheon doesn't appear to have any variant of Mitr

Jul 2012
Dhaka
Oh I see.

Similarity between Sanskrit and Greek is linguistic, as in grammar, syntax, common words etc. Greek and Sanskrit both belong to IE language family because of these similarities.

Proto-IE is one way of explaining the similarity. Since you are rejecting Proto-IE, you have to provide an alternate explanation.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I'd say the most commonly known are Ouranous/Varun and Zeus/Dyaus Pitr. Not quite sure how well known Eos/Usha are.
B.G. Tilak on Eos (Dawn) in his book "Arctic Home in Vedas":

"We have seen that the Dawn is very often spoken of in the plural in the RigVeda and that a group of thirty Dawn-Sisters is actually described as moving round and round with one mind and in the same enclosure without being separated from each other, a phenomenon which is peculiar only to the Arctic regions. This Vedic account of the Dawn does not stand by itself. Thus in the Lettish mythology, the Dawn is called "diewo dukte", or the
sky-daughter or the god-daughter, much in the same way as the Ushas is called "divo duhitâ" in the RigVeda; and the poets of the Lets speak likewise of many beautiful sky-daughters, or god-daughters, "diewo dukruzeles.” Prof. Max Müller; further informs us that in the Greek mythology we can “easily find among the wives of Hêrakles, significant names, such as Auge (sun-light), Xanthis (yellow), Chrysêis (golden), Iole (violet), Aglaia (resplendent), and Eône, which cannot be separated from Eos, dawn.” The same story appears again in the Celtic mythology where Cuchulainn, the Sun-hero, is described as having a wife, who is variously named as Emer, Ethne, Ingubai."

One can find an equivalent of any Vedic myth in ancient myths of European nations or Zoroastrians. This, because they all had one origin.

But Tornada, continue with your research in 'Modern History', because unfortunately, Vedic research does not pay, especially when one has contrary views. :(

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
If there is proto indo european language and proto indo european religion then there is also proto afro japanese, even their god names are kinda similar :lol: read the pinned comment.
Now that you mention it, the Supreme metaphysical Personifications or Spirit of the Yoruba people, the spirit of wisdom, divination, destiny, and foresight Is Orunmila. I do not know if that has some connection with Varuna (the Vedic Sky-God of one time) or Aruna (the Sun-God).

Sep 2016
天下
The whole of vyAkaraNa shAstra (grammar) and shiksha is based on the tenet of how to make language streamlined and pleasant sounding (which is relative). I can imagine an area from where the language spread to be the center of such grammatical rules. The word lihwa might have transformed in various stages finally becoming Jihwa. The Unadi sutra basically maps the root with the final transformation, which might be the most accepted
But why only Jihwa changed? Or the other way around, why lida didn't change? This has to be explained and not just taken at the face value.

Similar History Discussions