Questions regarding American history

Jan 2018
Hi there,
So I am asked to write a dissertation about anything that concerns the American history.
I am quite lost and I don't know where to start from..so plz suggest some issues in the American history that I can tackle and develop.
Thnx in advance.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
American history is a broad topic of inquiry. Is there any particular area you are interested in? The subject could potentially range from the settlement of Jamestown in 1607 to the present day. There is a lot to work with. The best thing would be to narrowly focus on a specific period or topic and go from there.

Jan 2018
American history is a broad topic of inquiry. Is there any particular area you are interested in? The subject could potentially range from the settlement of Jamestown in 1607 to the present day. There is a lot to work with. The best thing would be to narrowly focus on a specific period or topic and go from there.
This is exactly my problem (narrowing it down) I cannot think of anything in particular, that's why I asked ...so plz suggest anything u think is outstanding and valuable. Thank u.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
It has long been site policy for members not to help students until they have demonstrated a sincere and determined effort on their own. From your writing I will guess that you are a high school student taking a required course that has little personal appeal to you. Here is what I can do to help. American History covers a lot of ground, and not just geography (N. America, Meso-America, S. America). Pre-Columbian, Colonial, and what's happened since with further sub-divisions, and only a few of the Historical fields that fall under the American History Aegis. So high school History is most probably better labeled U.S. History with excursions into other Histories as needed.

So within U.S. History, what period or topic most interests you? Political and military history are popular. Some periods may be more interesting than others. Cultural History might make for an essay that would be both fun and informative to write ... if you know your subject, see some "larger" or more "interesting" aspect to the topic, and of course how well you can tell your story in writing. I wish you well, and I hope you will continue to visit with us. History is really great, but admittedly isn't as interesting as what is probably going on in your life just now.

Jan 2018
It has long been site policy for members not to help students until they have demonstrated a sincere and determined effort on their own. From your writing I will guess that you are a high school student taking a required course that has little personal appeal to you. Here is what I can do to help. American History covers a lot of ground, and not just geography (N. America, Meso-America, S. America). Pre-Columbian, Colonial, and what's happened since with further sub-divisions, and only a few of the Historical fields that fall under the American History Aegis. So high school History is most probably better labeled U.S. History with excursions into other Histories as needed.

So within U.S. History, what period or topic most interests you? Political and military history are popular. Some periods may be more interesting than others. Cultural History might make for an essay that would be both fun and informative to write ... if you know your subject, see some "larger" or more "interesting" aspect to the topic, and of course how well you can tell your story in writing. I wish you well, and I hope you will continue to visit with us. History is really great, but admittedly isn't as interesting as what is probably going on in your life just now.
Thank u sir, I appreciate it.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Well, our purpose is to promote the study and learning of History. Some of our members could probably tell you how many rivits were used to build a WWII battleship, and others are just curious as to all that has gone before they personally arrived on the scene. Some want to use History to make themselves or their group the final arbiter of what is of value. Humans seem to be naturally chauvinistic, but we don't have to be and some of the most successful (whatever that means) have benefited greatly from being open in mind and behavior to the widest range of sources.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
This is exactly my problem (narrowing it down) I cannot think of anything in particular, that's why I asked ...so plz suggest anything u think is outstanding and valuable. Thank u.
How about an examination of the root causes of the Mexican American War and its immediate after effects? The concept of Manifest Destiny, which was the national desire to expand American sovereignty from the Atlantic to the Pacific. And the immediate results of the American victory. The incorporation of the American Southwest and the establishment of the United States as a continental and major regional power.

Jun 2011
The Old Dominion
Perhaps you might just scan down the things you see discussed here and see what strikes you as amusing enough to pursue farther. Don't use what folks here say, go look up the ins and outs yourself. Write of what you find and present your conclusion. Some of the topics you see here require some pretty in-depth work and not just a few years of study, but some, especially for a broad American History survey, can be knocked out with, I won't say no effort, but with enough effort to balance with your other studies. Here's an obscure topic that is actually fairly easy . . . the wartime background to and the eventual American occupation of Iceland in WW2. Shouldn't be hard to knock out 20 pages double spaced that would be sufficient for a survey history course. Got an A on mine when a senior in high school, lo, those 45 plus years ago and my research was restricted to books . . . computer? how do I get it in the door?

Jan 2018
Perhaps you might just scan down the things you see discussed here and see what strikes you as amusing enough to pursue farther. Don't use what folks here say, go look up the ins and outs yourself. Write of what you find and present your conclusion. Some of the topics you see here require some pretty in-depth work and not just a few years of study, but some, especially for a broad American History survey, can be knocked out with, I won't say no effort, but with enough effort to balance with your other studies. Here's an obscure topic that is actually fairly easy . . . the wartime background to and the eventual American occupation of Iceland in WW2. Shouldn't be hard to knock out 20 pages double spaced that would be sufficient for a survey history course. Got an A on mine when a senior in high school, lo, those 45 plus years ago and my research was restricted to books . . . computer? how do I get it in the door?
Thnx a lot lovely ppl, I'll consider ur suggestions and select one of them....I am really grateful!

Similar History Discussions