Questions regarding American Revolution & slavery with a what if?

Feb 2019
Seattle
Interesting. Do you have any sources from the Revolutionary Period that shows that any of the founders were concerned about abolition in England spreading to America? There's a vague reference in the Declaration of Independence to Lord Dunmore's Proclamation, but it's a stretch to interpret that as you have.

There was a common belief in America, even in the South and even among slave owners, that slavery was dying a long, slow natural death due to economic factors. Can you prove that anyone thought that independence would pump new life into the institution of slavery?

Same question, do you have any sources showing that the planter aristocracy used the promise of slavery to justify independence? Independence was most controversial in the southern colonies, at least initially. There were more loyalists in the South than in New England, for example.
I have my proud family history and an understanding from a life long study of human thought process as my foundations for this hypothesis. I have kept this thought secret for a very long time, but I know how those people's brains worked and if any young aspiring historians out there were to look into the communications of the less famous, yet still very important players behind the scenes, I have no doubt that protecting their long term interest in the institution of slavery was foremost on their minds.

I have lived long enough to see the rift in society go from a tiny barely noticed crack to an impassible void. This void is between two ancient groups of people: Conservatives versus everyone else. A primary difference between conservative and non-conservative people is their understanding and relationship with history.
Non-conservative people aren't as focused on the good things in history as much, they appreciate the good, but won't explain away the bad. Non-conservative's have less trouble acknowledging the ignorance and moral failures of their ancestors than their counterparts are willing to allow. It is very liberating to admit it actually.

In my proud family history there is more than one ancestor who came to the New World seeking great wealth. I had ancestors in the North seeking vast tracks of land and ancestors in the South who believed they would find vast troves of hidden treasure. They came here at the very beginning of the period with vastness in mind, and damn it, they were going to make it happen.
My Southern ancestors were instrumental in the formation of the plantation system. I have two colonial governor's one Virginia, the other South Carolina. At least one of them, in his senior years was a personal advisor to President Washington. I have a common ancestor with Robert E Lee a hundred years before the revolution. My people hung out with Madison, Jefferson and Adams. I have no trouble at all reconciling who these people were as human beings. I have no problem understand how they came to chose the path they were determined to follow. My only responsibility as an heir to their legacy is to reflect on their decisions and be able to recognize them for what they were, in all way's, good and bad.
Because of this, I have been able to ask questions that most people wouldn't even dare to imagine. I'm getting old, I want to pass these questions on to a younger much smarter generation than those who are as old, older of a little younger than I who and still running the world into the ground. This is one of those questions.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Arizona
TOO MANY "What if"s!!!!

What if a Colonial buzzard had a juke box up his ass???? Would there be music in the skies??? WHAT IF Gnl Lee had a brigade of Vikings with AK47s at Gettyburg? WHAT IF Thomas Jefferson was an *******? What then?

Slavery until 1833 and no Civil War???? Whio ******* knows....

Feb 2019
Seattle
We fought that war to protect my ancestors right to keep slaves. If they hadn't had the good cause of Liberty to motivate the little people they would have waited until the inevitable end of slavery throughout the empire before making that move. My acestors were smart people, they knew how to manipulate the lower classes into giving them pretty much everything they wanted. Sorry man, that's the truth.

Similar History Discussions