Race categories in a scenario where East Asia rather than Europe colonized the world

Status
Closed

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What would race categories have looked like in a scenario where East Asia rather than Europe would have colonized much of the rest of the world?

For the record, this requires much stronger support for seafaring and naval exploration in East Asia as well as having East Asia industrialize before Europe. I chose East Asia here because it appears to be the most likely competitor to Europe as the world's top dog due to East Asia being relatively advanced even in the Middle Ages (in comparison to Europe, et cetera).

Aug 2018
london
"What would race categories have looked like"

They would have looked similar as they are based on real observable differences, not 'cisgender transphobic racist misogynist patriachal capitalist ideology'.

Feb 2011
You know the medieval Chinese lumped black African people in the same category as Southeast Asians (Kun Lun Nu, "dark slaves")? After all, they're both darker than the majority of Chinese. So no, not reasonable. It's an arbitrary distinction drawn in the sand. If we go by phenotype (considering how DNA wasn't known when the concept of race was birthed), why are red heads the same race as blondes?

Also I can't help notice that it's always the ones who habitually argue or imply racial superiority who supports the idea that racial distinctions are somehow scientific. People who recognize racial distinctions aren't necessarily racist, but racists all recognize racial distinctions. :D

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You know the Chinese placed black people in the same category as Southeast Asians? After all, they're both darker than the majority of Chinese. So no, not reasonable. It's an arbitrary distinction drawn in the sand. If we go by phenotype (considering how DNA wasn't known when the concept of race was birthed), why are red heads the same race as blondes?
Actually, red heads aren't the same as blondes; rather, gingers have no souls! ;) :

Ginger Kids - Wikipedia

Also I can't help notice that it's always the ones who habitually argue or imply racial superiority who supports the idea that racial distinctions are somehow scientific. People who recognize racial distinctions aren't necessarily racist, but racists all recognize racial distinctions. :D
They wouldn't actually be racists if they didn't recognize racial distinctions, now would they?

Jun 2013
USA
While racism in East Asia society was a little different, it was ultimately based on the same stupid visual differences. The extra element is cultural as well, as they viewed Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Mongolians as (kind of) their own races as well, rather than "Asian" like we would see them as.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
While racism in East Asia society was a little different, it was ultimately based on the same stupid visual differences. The extra element is cultural as well, as they viewed Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Mongolians as (kind of) their own races as well, rather than "Asian" like we would see them as.
Did they view all Europeans, all South Asians, and all Africans as one race (each, not combined into one big Euro-South Asian-African race) or as multiple races?

Jun 2013
USA
I mean yeah they saw "white", "black" and south asians as different races. But I'm not as familiar on the specifics outside of Asia past that. Especially since they didn't constantly come into contact with Europeans or Africans at a high level until much later in their history.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I mean yeah they saw "white", "black" and south asians as different races. But I'm not as familiar on the specifics outside of Asia past that. Especially since they didn't constantly come into contact with Europeans or Africans at a high level until much later in their history.
What were their thoughts about them after they became coming into contact with them at a high level, though?

Status
Closed