Ramses II vs. Nebuchadnezzer

Mar 2011
I couldn't find an existing thread on this topic, if this has been discussed please point me in the right direction.

I recently picked up an odd little book called; "Ramses II and His Time" by Immanuel Velikovsky. I have only read two chapters so far, but he asserts that Ramses' reign has been incorrectly dated and that he was the Pharaoh Necho of the Bible. The book is poorly organized but he makes some very compelling arguments. He claims that Ramses 19 year war with the Hittites is the same 19 year war, between Nebuchadnezzar and Egypt, described in the Bible. There are many striking correlations. Of course, he doesn't present any evidence that would tend to conflict with this theory. I have little knowledge of Egyptian history, is anyone familiar with this theory, and is there anything to it, or is this guy completely off the reservation?

Jul 2011
Southern California
Velikovsy is completely off his nut, and widely dismissed in academic circles as a hack. He believes the Egyptian chronology is all wrong, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary, and has devised his own wacky timeline that cannot be supported by science.

unclefred

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Oregon coastal mountains
Velikovsky, if nothing else, is a very interesting read. My favorite was Oedipus and Akhenaten, which suggests that Akhenaten was the real life prototype for the Oedipus myth! Famously wrong as a theorist, here is a bit on him: Immanuel Velikovsky: Bad Archaeologist, Bad Physicist, Bad Astronomer… I do note that he was onto something in that he realized the orthodox chronology has some big problems. His own was worse though.

Mar 2011
Velikovsky, if nothing else, is a very interesting read. My favorite was Oedipus and Akhenaten, which suggests that Akhenaten was the real life prototype for the Oedipus myth! Famously wrong as a theorist, here is a bit on him: Immanuel Velikovsky: Bad Archaeologist, Bad Physicist, Bad Astronomer… I do note that he was onto something in that he realized the orthodox chronology has some big problems. His own was worse though.
Thanks for the link, I thought it was a bit of a stretch that Ramses II was miss-dated by 7 centuries. The parallels between the wars of Ramses and those of Nebuchadnezzar are striking though, at least as presented by Velikovsky. Are there non-biblical sources for Nebuchadnezzar's war with this Pharaoh Necho?

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I couldn't find an existing thread on this topic, if this has been discussed please point me in the right direction.

I recently picked up an odd little book called; "Ramses II and His Time" by Immanuel Velikovsky. I have only read two chapters so far, but he asserts that Ramses' reign has been incorrectly dated and that he was the Pharaoh Necho of the Bible. The book is poorly organized but he makes some very compelling arguments. He claims that Ramses 19 year war with the Hittites is the same 19 year war, between Nebuchadnezzar and Egypt, described in the Bible. There are many striking correlations. Of course, he doesn't present any evidence that would tend to conflict with this theory. I have little knowledge of Egyptian history, is anyone familiar with this theory, and is there anything to it, or is this guy completely off the reservation?
Hi Corndog,
You should really take anything written by Velikovsky with a grain of salt. The use of mythology and cosmology to effectively date the ancient world is precarious at best. I would also be suprised if there was one actual historian or archaeologist that accepted his ideas, if so, I would be completely shocked.

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
I pretty much agree with concensus here.

Immanuel Velikovsky was the last of a line of Catastrophics, and they believed that the planet had been affected in the past by sudden, short-lived, violent events, possibly worldwide in scope.

Similar History Discussions