Rat Temple in India, Should we allow things like this in urban areas ?

Mar 2017
Colorado
San Francisco doesn't have any problems with human feces in the streets (in terms of general hygiene), but I guess rats are more invasive in the neighborhood.

I don't know about other cities but, in the past, New York, New York had a rat squad. I learned the details 40 yrs ago in a disease class, so I don't know if it's still current.

Rat squad people would walk the streets of NY counting rats. The rule is: for every rat above ground, there's 10 more below ground. When the number reached their limit, a major extermination campaign was started. They used "1080" an outlawed pesticide very effective on rats. Rats carry quite a few diseases, but the major risk was plague.

Is the Rat Temple a good idea? No.

Mar 2017
Colorado
Plague | National Health Portal Of India
"In India, outbreaks of plague occurred in Mamla village of district Beed, Maharashtra state (bubonic type) and district Surat in Gujarat state (pneumonic type) in September 1994. Subsequently, suspected cases of pneumonic plague were reported from Delhi, Varanasi, Karnataka and other states. A total of 876 cases and 54 deaths were reported. In 2002, outbreak of pneumonic plague occurred in Himachal Pradesh with 16 cases and 4 deaths. In 2004, outbreak of bubonic plague was reported from Dangud village, of district Uttar Kashi, Uttarakhand state with 8 cases & 3 deaths. "

Bubonic plague is spread by the bite of fleas which have also bitten an infected rat.
Pneumonic plague is exactly the same disease, spread in aerosol form .... coughing.

It's the same disease that killed half of Europe as "The Black Death", but it doesn't turn corpses grey anymore.

Jun 2017
usa
FYI this is just one temple that does it in Rajasthan. please do not make it sound as if this is the norm.
This is less common than snake kissing at Sunday worship in some of the churches here in the US.
I grew up in India and the first I heard of this was on National Geographic in the US.

The plague in Surat or anywhere else was not related to rat worship. surprisingly I do not know of any cases of plague in the area where this temple is located.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
Of course it should be allowed in the those places, where is is an established custom. Otherwise one could forbid grave yards in North America with the sentence "Earth graves with human corpses buried in the ground, should we allow unhygenic things like this in our cities?"

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
A temple with rats allowed in urban areas.?

Not in my street. Before anyone attacks me for being racist ; churches, /mosques/,temples lower property values, as do schools and sports arenas ,and of course main roads. ( at least that's how it works in my city)

Probably would not get passed the application stage here. We have strict hygiene laws. Pretty sure rats in that scenario would not be allowed.

Graves perhaps not the best example; it is not usual in Australia to bury one's family in the back yard. people tend to find the idea a bit creepy.These days cremation is very popular, It's easy to quietly spread ashes just about anywhere you like.

I believe rats are also common in India in Jain temples, as Jains will not kill them or allow them to be killed. (due to a very strict interpretation of'ahimsa')

Jun 2017
usa
A temple with rats allowed in urban areas.?

Not in my street. Before anyone attacks me for being racist ; churches, /mosques/,temples lower property values, as do schools and sports arenas ,and of course main roads. ( at least that's how it works in my city)

Probably would not get passed the application stage here. We have strict hygiene laws. Pretty sure rats in that scenario would not be allowed.

Graves perhaps not the best example; it is not usual in Australia to bury one's family in the back yard. people tend to find the idea a bit creepy.These days cremation is very popular, It's easy to quietly spread ashes just about anywhere you like.

I believe rats are also common in India in Jain temples, as Jains will not kill them or allow them to be killed. (due to a very strict interpretation of'ahimsa')
No actually, rats are not common in any temples in India. Not even Jain temples. Jain temples in fact are one of the most pristine, beautiful and clean places.
This kind of misconception is not uncommon when we do not have complete knowledge about a different place/ culture.
This rat temple is an anomaly and one of a kind.
Personally I would not like to go to this temple due to the rats but who am I to disrespect other people's belief?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Rats not common, OK. I've never been to India, so I'll take your word, assuming you've been inside a few Jain temples.

Jains do practice a very strict form of ahimsa, they will not intentionally kill even an insect.. I'm left with the simple question, how do the Jains deal with any rats that find their way inside a temple?

You're quite right of course, I'm very ignorant. I learned the depths of my ignorance while I spent three years at university studying aspects of the caste system.. I honestly can't remember where I got the information about rats in Jain temples.

Similar History Discussions