(Real) weapons of the Future

Jan 2019
Belgium
Regarding the rail gunss,

I heard that the cost of a shot (I don’t know what for caliber ...one must be in the "105" or "155" probably,
may be more than 1/2 million $ and that it is "for this" that the Americans do not equip their frigates with them.
a) I don’t know if that’s true.
b) I do not know if this also concerns the price of magnetic shooting .
c) and in any case, I do not understand how this cost is arrived at.that
d) At the speed the shell goes; the shell is inert or it is "armed" with a payload .?

Besides with these magnetic guns, these thrusters of magnetic planes... how do we arrange cohabitation with all the electronics aboard and on board?

Thank you for each answer .

Jul 2017
Europe
The real weapons of the future will be the cyber weapons. The conventional warfare will be replaced by the cyber warfare. All weapons that we know today will become obsolete and useless, except maybe the atom bomb that will be used as a tool for total annihilation.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
What about using drones to deliver targeted bio weapons, such as say Saron gas , anthrax, or faster acting diseases?

Drones appeal to me because they have the potential to cause maximum damage with minimal loss. i guess it might even out if there are two reasonably equal enemies.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
We cannot imagine our science fiction stories without laser handguns; then, they are NOT that realistic in practice!

Aug 2014
Australia
Didn't know anyone had produced a laser hand gun.
Yep this can be done - so long as you were tugging a vehicle-sized power source behind you.

Can microwaves be weaponised?
Just remove the shielding on the door of your oven at home. Then wait 10-20 years for a cancer to develop.

More seriously, the mysterious illness experienced by US diplomats in Cuba is looking like being caused by a microwave attack.
Those mysterious attacks in Cuba probably involved weaponized microwaves

Microwaves have also been used to disable drones.
Need to destroy a bunch of drones? New technologies target them and take them out

Last edited:
Jul 2016
USA
What about using drones to deliver targeted bio weapons, such as say Saron gas , anthrax, or faster acting diseases?

Drones appeal to me because they have the potential to cause maximum damage with minimal loss. i guess it might even out if there are two reasonably equal enemies.
Bioweapons aren't especially effective unless weeks can be planned for before degradation occurs. Anthrax is the best, smallpox a close second, but both need time to do their thing, and great energy must be expanded with as numerous points of exposure, be they military or civilian targets. Best used against rear areas to cause disruption.

Chemical weapon delivery by drones is, especially liquid dispersion while overflying target area, would have terrific effects, especially with something like a persistent nerve agent like VX clings to everything like an oily film, very deadly, would leech into soil and water runoff, and lasts for months. Very effective against civilians, effectively conducting large scale semi permanent area denial (which can also be done effectively with dirty bombs). Also, persistent nerve agents sprayed over major bases, especially vehicle motor pools and aircraft hangers makes them unusuable until decontamination is done, or unless all users wear head to toe NBC suits (MOPP) 24/7.

For front line combat use, a mix of different types of chemical munitions is best. Lots of artillery rounds and aerial dropped bombs, point detonating on the ground or air bursting, with mixes of cynanide blood agents to cause protective mask filter degradation, and various persistent and non persistent nerve agents, probably some other stuff too. For areas where attacks are expected to drive through, persistent agents are discouraged.

Jul 2016
USA
The real weapons of the future will be the cyber weapons. The conventional warfare will be replaced by the cyber warfare. All weapons that we know today will become obsolete and useless, except maybe the atom bomb that will be used as a tool for total annihilation.
That assumes limited conflicts can't happen. That same faulty thinking led to the horrific readiness of the US Army before the Korean War, when the best and brightest declared all future wars would be decided by nuclear war.

Lets see: Korea, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Lebanon, Grenada, Libya, Panama, Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Iraq again, Syria.

Surely I'm missing some, but besides Libya in 80s and Kosovo, a few random skirmishes with Iran that were air or naval, the rest requieed extensive use of ground troops were absolutely essential.

Aug 2014
Australia
That assumes limited conflicts can't happen. That same faulty thinking led to the horrific readiness of the US Army before the Korean War, when the best and brightest declared all future wars would be decided by nuclear war.

Lets see: Korea, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Lebanon, Grenada, Libya, Panama, Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Iraq again, Syria.

Surely I'm missing some, but besides Libya in 80s and Kosovo, a few random skirmishes with Iran that were air or naval, the rest requieed extensive use of ground troops were absolutely essential.
Yep. You can use fancy technology to take ground but only grunts can hold it.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yep this can be done - so long as you were tugging a vehicle-sized power source behind you.

Just remove the shielding on the door of your oven at home. Then wait 10-20 years for a cancer to develop.

More seriously, the mysterious illness experienced by US diplomats in Cuba is looking like being caused by a microwave attack.
Those mysterious attacks in Cuba probably involved weaponized microwaves

Microwaves have also been used to disable drones.
Need to destroy a bunch of drones? New technologies target them and take them out

Is it feasible to have a microwave weapon which would work the same way as the oven? IE excite the water molecules in targeted people, so that they cook, and possibly explode? I was thinking along the lines of a huge weapon which could be focussed on enemy troops. Too cumbersome or expensive?

Looks as if James T Kirk's phaser is out of the question at present