Realistic monarchical restorations which didn't happen in real life

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In which cases was there a realistic chance of a monarchical restoration that ended up not happening in real life?

So far, I can think of France in the early 1870s when Henri, Count of Chambord could have accepted the French tricolor and thus been crowned King of France and Germany in the early 1930s where instead of appointing Hitler, President Hindenburg could have supported a military coup and the subsequent installation of a new German Kaiser as a figurehead in order to give legitimacy to the new German government. Also, I suppose that if the Whites would have won the Russian Civil War they could have installed a new Tsar for Russia--either with genuine power or as a figurehead.

Anyway, what other cases of this could there have been?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Louis XX after the fall of Macron and the Fifth French Republic? Former President
Nicolas Sarkozy returns as Prime Minister. The idea of an empowered president and a prime minister is unique to France among the larger nations. If Macron was PM with a figurehead president, a smoother change of government would occur rather than having a very unpopular president (20% approval) remain in office.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
In which cases was there a realistic chance of a monarchical restoration that ended up not happening in real life?

So far, I can think of France in the early 1870s when Henri, Count of Chambord could have accepted the French tricolor and thus been crowned King of France and Germany in the early 1930s where instead of appointing Hitler, President Hindenburg could have supported a military coup and the subsequent installation of a new German Kaiser as a figurehead in order to give legitimacy to the new German government. Also, I suppose that if the Whites would have won the Russian Civil War they could have installed a new Tsar for Russia--either with genuine power or as a figurehead.

Anyway, what other cases of this could there have been?
With Henri, there were more issues than just the flag. He basically wanted the return of absolute monarchy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
With Henri, there were more issues than just the flag. He basically wanted the return of absolute monarchy.
Yes, that's certainly very possible. Of course, had Henri died before 1873 or so, the Orleanists would have become the new heirs to the French throne and would have been more willing to compromise--thus likely resulting in a restored French monarchy.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I Germany in the early 1930s where instead of appointing Hitler, President Hindenburg could have supported a military coup and the subsequent installation of a new German Kaiser as a figurehead in order to give legitimacy to the new German government.
Don;t think it's realistic. very few Germans wanted the Kaiser back.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Don;t think it's realistic. very few Germans wanted the Kaiser back.
I'm not sure if being ruled by a military junta without a Kaiser would have looked much more appealing for Germans, though.

Also, even if there would have been a Hohenzollern restoration in such a scenario, I agree with you that it might not have lasted.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
BTW, I was thinking of having one of the sons of Crown Prince Wilhelm be the new German Kaiser (his eldest sons were in their 20s in the early 1930s) instead of bringing the former Kaiser Wilhelm II back from the Netherlands.