Realistic monarchical restorations which didn't happen in real life

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It certainly wasn't possible while the commies were in power. The time during and right after the Yugoslav Wars was packed with nationalism on all sides, new glorification of national history and tradition. The former kings were part of this too, although I doubt Milošević and similar figures would really aprove of it as it could take some influence and power from them. Not to say that at the very start of the war the Yugoslav People's Army was under the command of old communist generals, talking on TV how Germany (the old enemy) and the capitalist imperialistic West caused the Slovenes and Croats to rebel and would probably soon invade the country themselves. They would have no return of a monarchy. Also, while I'm sure any deposed monarch would want to return instantly to the position of king or whatever, they'd think twice once atrocities like Srebrenica would become public. Noone likes terrible things committed "for King and Country" when they're the king.
On the bright side, though, a Serbian King could have immediately fired Milosevic after learning about his atrocities.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Good point.

Also, what about having Horthy remain in power and make Otto von Habsburg his successor after his death in a scenario where France never falls in 1940 and thus Hungary is never conquered by the Soviet Union?
Horthy couldn't make Otto his successor, he had no power to it. He could have the right to recommend 3 candidates as succeeding regents after him to the parliament, and the parliament could elect from them, but the candidates would have to be Hungarian nationals per law, which Otto wasn't (though there were other Habsburgs who were living in Hungary and were Hungarian citizens). Anyways, it would be up to the parliament to decide about a king too. The Habsburgs were formally dethroned in 1921.
There were 2 big camps among Hungarian monarchists during the interwar period, the legitimists were in favor of the return of the Habsburgs, the other camp was in favor of inviting a new dynasty (or some among them wanted to pick another Habsburg, who was living in Hungary, not from the main legitimist line, which would be Otto), but there was never a clear candidate for this camp, various ideas were circulating among them (even ridiculous ones, like the Daily Mail owner Lord Rothermere) without serious political support for any single individual. It would depend on the internal political climate, and esp. the world political situation in the time. In the interwar period the little Entente, Czechoslovakia in particular opposed the Habsburg restoration vehemently , they were ready to even intervene militarily if the Habsburgs tried to return to the Hungarian throne (that threat was the main reason why Charles IV's attempt to return to Hungary was stopped). But imo Nazi Germany would be against it too, Hitler hated the Habsburgs. Maybe if there is an Allied victory and Hungary also ends up in the Western camp after the ww2 (occupied by the Allies, not the SU), there would be a chance for Habsburg restoration with US or British support... but imo maintaining the regency would be the most comfortable solution for everybody, as monarchists were also divided. :)

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Horthy couldn't make Otto his successor, he had no power to it. He could have the right to recommend 3 candidates as succeeding regents after him to the parliament, and the parliament could elect from them, but the candidates would have to be Hungarian nationals per law, which Otto wasn't (though there were other Habsburgs who were living in Hungary and were Hungarian citizens). Anyways, it would be up to the parliament to decide about a king too. The Habsburgs were formally dethroned in 1921.
There were 2 big camps among Hungarian monarchists during the interwar period, the legitimists were in favor of the return of the Habsburgs, the other camp was in favor of inviting a new dynasty (or some among them wanted to pick another Habsburg, who was living in Hungary, not from the main legitimist line, which would be Otto), but there was never a clear candidate for this camp, various ideas were circulating among them (even ridiculous ones, like the Daily Mail owner Lord Rothermere) without serious political support for any single individual. It would depend on the internal political climate, and esp. the world political situation in the time. In the interwar period the little Entente, Czechoslovakia in particular opposed the Habsburg restoration vehemently , they were ready to even intervene militarily if the Habsburgs tried to return to the Hungarian throne (that threat was the main reason why Charles IV's attempt to return to Hungary was stopped). But imo Nazi Germany would be against it too, Hitler hated the Habsburgs. Maybe if there is an Allied victory and Hungary also ends up in the Western camp after the ww2 (occupied by the Allies, not the SU), there would be a chance for Habsburg restoration with US or British support... but imo maintaining the regency would be the most comfortable solution for everybody, as monarchists were also divided. :)
What about having Otto von Habsburg become King of Austria if the Austrian monarchy will be restored after the end of World War II in a no-Fall of France scenario?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
What about having Otto von Habsburg become King of Austria if the Austrian monarchy will be restored after the end of World War II in a no-Fall of France scenario?
He would be Emperor of Austria, not king, Austria was never a kingdom (before becoming emperors, they were archdukes) :p

But i would find it even more unlikely, Austria was more hostile to the dynasty's return Habsburg Law - Wikipedia and republicanism was stronger there after ww 1. They became and remained a republic for decades, while in Hungary the republican regime was just a short and rather negative "political experience" in 1919. I think in Hungary they would have a bigger chance to come back than in Austria under this scenario (=non of us being under SU occupation).

Still, even if the Habsburgs would be restored in both countries, the interstate relations would imo just be limited to personal union, not a restoration of the whole Austro-Hungarian dualist system (no return to the 1867 Compromise with common army, common foreign policy etc).

Though as i remember there were some American or British plans in Yalta or Potsdam to divide up Germany that way to make a South German/Danubian federation, and in one variation that would for some reason also include Hungary in it (I think Churchill fantasized about it, but i don't know how would he imagine it, as a republic or monarchy?)

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
He would be Emperor of Austria, not king, Austria was never a kingdom (before becoming emperors, they were archdukes) :p

But i would find it even more unlikely, Austria was more hostile to the dynasty's return Habsburg Law - Wikipedia and republicanism was stronger there after ww 1. They became and remained a republic for decades, while in Hungary the republican regime was just a short and rather negative "political experience" in 1919. I think in Hungary they would have a bigger chance to come back than in Austria under this scenario (=non of us being under SU occupation).

Still, even if the Habsburgs would be restored in both countries, the interstate relations would imo just be limited to personal union, not a restoration of the whole Austro-Hungarian dualist system (no return to the 1867 Compromise with common army, common foreign policy etc).

Though as i remember there were some American or British plans in Yalta or Potsdam to divide up Germany that way to make a South German/Danubian federation, and in one variation that would for some reason also include Hungary in it (I think Churchill fantasized about it, but i don't know how would he imagine it, as a republic or monarchy?)
Thanks for all of this information.

BTW, why did Hungary briefly go Communist after WWI while Austria didn't?